Wednesday 2 January 2019

From SimonM: "Fantasy Flight Games" Chewbacca (9 Points)

This 47mm tall hard plastic miniature of Chewbacca is produced by “Fantasy Flight Games” and can be found inside the company's "Chewbacca Operative Expansion" for "Star Wars: Legion"; "a miniatures game of thrilling infantry battles in the Star Wars universe!" Described as "Han Solo’s ever-faithful companion", the Wookie was played by Peter Mayhew and made his first appearance in George Lucas' 1977 American epic space opera film "Star Wars".
The figure was initially primed with two coats of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, shaded with "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade, and dry-brushed with both (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and (lighter) Heavy Brown. I then applied a combination of "Citadel" Doombull Brown and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade to Chewie's side-bag, plus "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey to his "trusty bowcaster" and along his ammunition belt. These areas were subsequently washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil and highlighted with a little more "Vallejo" Gunmetal Grey.

I then encountered something of a painting dilemma, as having previously pigmented two slightly smaller models of Chewbacca I knew the next stage was to carefully pick out the leather covering his belt's line of hard metallic shell boxes. However, the sculpting for this version of the Wookie didn't allow for me to get my brush tip in between the tiny containers and I couldn't help feeling that there was more than enough brown on display without the smuggler's bandoleer being the same colour too.
Resultantly, and any purest "Star Wars" aficionados will want to look away at this point, I have left the ammunition belt a dull metallic colour so it stands out a little better on the figure. Finally, I applied some additional "Citadel" Nuln Oil to certain areas of the Wookie, in order to darken him down a bit and break up the colour consistency of Chewie's fur.
____________________________________________________

Very tidy work on this iconic character, Simon, and I think we can forgive you some differences to the colour palette in the interests of clarity!

Since a 40mm figure scores 7 points, I figure a 47mm model has to be worth at least 8.5. As I don't want to get into trouble with Miles by fouling his spreadsheet with decimals, I'll round that up to nine (if anyone asks, put it down to Beginning Minion Syndrome).
; )

Ev

23 comments:

  1. In my book one can't have enough Wookie figures. Great work Simon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much indeed, Curt (and Evan). I don't usually buy a mini and then paint it straight up as soon as the box arrives. But I did so on this occasion, along with Chewie's Wookie Warriors, so they've definitely captured my imagination :-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely big Chewie! Pouches who cares he looks great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. I know some "Star Wars" purists will groan, but he does look smashing on the tabletop, even if I say so myself :-)

      Delete
  3. he's a cracker, watched Solo again yesterday. I liked it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, I've not seen "Solo" myself - waiting until it comes down in price on DVD.

      Delete
    2. We really enjoyed it as well. It's too bad it was released so soon after The Last Jedi - Star Wars exhaustion (really, if there really can be such a thing).

      Delete
  4. "aaahnruh aarrragghuuhw aguhwwgggghhh uuh"

    According to the Wookiee translator, that means "nice walking carpet" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grand job, Simon! CheWie looks great! Solo is outstanding, I refer to it as the apology for the Last Jedi. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers David. I haven't seen "The Last Jedi" either. I swore if they killed off Luke in that I'd be done with "Disney"...

      Delete
  6. Wookies are cool. Ewoks, on the other hand, should be eradicated...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am certainly not bold enough to tell a Wookie that his cartridge belt is the wrong colour! Nice work on Chewy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. I don't personally think you can even tell from the tabletop that it's all-metallic, but I always like to rationalise my painting decisions whenever I step away from the perceived norm.

      Delete
  8. Very nice job! I’ve been tempted by this figure to join my unpainted legion rebels and you’ve done a nice job. I feel your pain on the bandolier too, I’ll bear it in mind if I get one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers JamieM. I'm really hoping this model won't get me into "Star Wars: Legion" tbh, but it was simply too nice not to buy. I'd be very interested in your thoughts as to the rule-set and how it plays?

      Delete
  9. Chewie looks great, well done.

    ReplyDelete