Wednesday 2 January 2019

From TeemuL: SU-152 (10 points)

First week of scheduled posts and as usual, I try to have something ready for publishing each week. Deadlines give some motivation to me, I just need to finish something, not necessarily much, but something to keep the Challenge running. After the frantic first weeks, it is calming down and getting more organized, so I thought a short introduction could be nice. I'm 40 year old painter and parent (of three year old son), I mostly play the different Games Workshop games, wide variety of board games and so on. I painted my first miniatures in the early 90s to use in our RPGs and soon after that I bought Blood Bowl 3rd ed. I really started painting and playing when the Lord of the Rings was released by GW first time. We switched quite soon to 40K, because most of the friends thought that scifi is better. We played through 3rd and 4th edition, but when the 5th was released, we were all living in different cities, had jobs and girlfriends, so we decided to stop. I kept on buying and occasionally painting miniatures until some five years ago I joined the local Blood Bowl league. One of the players had LotR armies as well, so we started playing that as well. I kept on wanting more, so I gave my little finger to Age of Sigmar as well. Last year I started Kill Team and I bought some Death Guard before Christmas. I have all kind of random miniatures waiting for the paint, so with the Squirrel competition I have a perfect excuse to paint what ever I want - I have enough painted miniatures for all the games I play, so there is no "need" to paint more, so I can now focus on painting things I like and Squirreling. Until I join some Escalation league and everything gets ruined... (I like Excel sheets, but I don't use them for Challenges.) I do have a hobby blog, but it is in Finnish: https://vainvader.wordpress.com/. You can also follow me in Instagram @vainvader, I use English there.Feel free to ask more, read and comment (even in English) my blog, follow me in Instagram and keep painting!

24, not Cyrillic...

Back to the real thing, some painted miniatures. After the 100 point Army of the Dead (and preparation for the first Bonus Round) here is something smaller this time, 1/100 scale SU-152 by Zvezda. Very nice model to assemble and paint, I mostly paint 28mm miniatures, but these smaller things are nice change once in a while. May be I even play with them sometime, I bought the TANKS! game last year, but haven't even read the rules yet. But I have heard it should be a light and quick tank game, X-Wing style.


Quite simple paint job here, I had some troubles browsing the Internet yesterday - most of the pictures didn't load, so I had little choice. Dark green seems to be an appropriate color for WW2 Soviet assault gun. I added white recon stripe and number based on a picture, no idea if they are historically accurate or not. And it is not even white, it's Ushbati Bone, I think bright white is just too bright usually. There's also some lighter green to bring up the details and some brown to indicate mud

Some mud and light green highlights

Zvezda manufacturers 1/100 scale models, which is not really 15mm, but 18mm, I think. Instruction sheet has point values only for 15mm and 20mm, 8 and 15 points. 1/100 is generally used as 15mm equivalent, so I'm not sure about the points, especially when the points values for vehicles went up this year. I initially scored this as 8, but I'm happy to take 10 or 12, if this is agreed to be a bigger one. :) Like I said, I'm not that familiar with these historical miniatures, but I have some plans for this Challenge...
__________________________________________________________

First-time minion gets thrown a curly one; 15mm (8 points) or 20mm (10 points) or something in between? What the hey, I'll split the difference and give it 9 points plus one for being insane enough to hand-paint numerals and stripes on this chunky little beast. 

Plus I have a soft spot for the SU-152, since it was one of the first big tank models (Tamiya 1/35 scale) I built back when I was a lad. 

Well played, Teemu!

Ev

14 comments:

  1. Teemu that is a wonderful, stonkingly big (and green) armoured vehicle. Well done. I really enjoyed reading your hobby bio and hope other Challengers will follow your lead. I find it fascinating to hear more about our people and their experiences in the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, it is nice to know a bit about other Challengers, other than how they highlight white, paint eyes or mustache or use shield decals. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, yes but I do fervently hope you use shield decals. ;)

      Delete
    3. Shield decals are they way to go! :-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking great big tank!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Teemu, always nice to see some scary Red Army steel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice vehicle. I think the Zvezda models are excellent for the price and well worth painting. Nice job on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to hear the background of challengers. I agree that it's good to get something published each week - gives a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lovely stocking big assault gun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely beast - one of my favourites and very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking tank, well done. And thank you for the introduction Teemu.

    ReplyDelete