Tuesday 26 March 2019

From StuartL - A Squirrel by any other name.

Was that really three months? Sure, it felt like it when I was putting brush to mini for the umpteenth time, but looking back it seems like only yesterday I was wondering what madness I had signed myself up for. 
As it turned out, it was a madness I embraced all to readily.

At the start of the challenge, I thought a modest target of 500 points would be reasonable. I usually average about 30 minis a month, so 500 didn't seem to extreme. As it was, I managed around 90 models per month, with a grand total of 269 figures, (counting the multi-based 6mm minis as 1 figure per base), over the course of the challenge. Of course, during that time I practically gave up every aspect of my life except for work and those odd times when my wife dragged me away from the painting table and threatened me with violence if I didn't put the brush down.


I understand that a mug shot and a picture of all the painted models is obligatory at this point.


I began the challenge with the intent to post comments on everyone's entries, but that swiftly became a difficult proposition. The only time I could find a chance to post was during my daily commute and the volume of entries quickly created a backlog that I couldn't work through. So, I would like to take this opportunity to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed looking at everyone's work, whether they entered just a couple of small groups of minis or painted an entire army or three. The sheer enthusiasm for the hobby is astounding and I am glad to have had the chance to participate.


My entries can be divided up into 4 smaller categories. The first is the Fantasy group. I had some of these models lying around for ages, though the Blood Bowl team was donated by a friend for the sports round and the Warmachine figures were done for a friend's collection.



The second group is SF and is the only one where I varied scales. The Epic minis were certainly a challenge as they are so small. I did my best to get them looking prettier than just a small green lump. This challenge certainly gave me a chance to try out different techniques.



This small group is Modern Historicals. I play a lot of Bolt Action and Black Powder, so have plenty of armies half built and in need of reinforcements. The British armour, AZW minis and Japanese infantry will go to join their brethren in their respective army cases. The Germans in winter gear and the Poles will form the start of all new forces.



And finally the main Historicals. I had a plan to paint up three large batches of figures over the challenge. The Crusaders on the left and the Bretons on the right were two of them. Sadly the third never materialized due to logistics issues.

I am very happy with finishing in 10th place. Truth be told, it is far better than I expected. My hat is off to those who finished in the top places. Even if I had had more free time, I don't think I could have managed much more painting. As it was I felt really burned out towards the end and have taken a 1 week break from my hobby room to clear my head a bit. The last couple of days I had to force myself to pick up a brush to finish off the last licks of paint on my final entries. I actually had the day off on the final day of the event, so I could have done another squad of something, but at that point I would rather have taken a hammer to my figures than a brush.

Which brings me to the Squirrel Side Duel. Despite claims to the effect that I only had 1 Squirrel wearing a series of ever more elaborate hats, I am very, very happy with my victory. I thought Noel was going to win it, simply because he outpaints everyone. I knew that to stand a chance, I had to paint smarter. You'll notice that a lot of my entries are quite small. Throughout the time I was working on the bigger groups, I had one or two smaller groups of figures on the sidelines. When I had spare paint in the pallet, I would grab one of them and add a quick coat. I also kept a set of notes on my desk of what was in the queue, what could go in next and what I had posted. I tried to move an entry into each column each week to ensure a steady output, with the final couple of weeks being focused on getting the last few details in on a bunch of different entries.

So that's about it from me. I would like to thank Curt (I have some Curtgeld that I need to finish off once my painting hiatus is done), and Lady Sarah for hosting the event. Ev, my minion for his fair and even-handed scoring, as well as the special guest minions who stepped in when needed. I'd like to say thank you for everyone's kind comments on my entries and I would like to thank Noel for giving me a serious run for my money on the Squirrel Duel.

Despite vowing never to paint again once I posted my final entry, I think I would quite like to come back for the next challenge. I have a novel idea for what I would like to enter, but it will probably take me several months to get everything I need built and prepped. Plus I am likely to change my mind and go chasing off after the next Squirrel that comes my way.

Thank You!

15 comments:

  1. Cracking work Stuart and congratulations with seizing the Squirrel (hmm, that sounds a bit rude). As to painter's burnout, I've been there. I often recommend treating the Challenge like a marathon instead of a series of sprints try to keep a realistic, measured pace. Besides, it's supposed to be a fun challenge, not torture for geeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it felt like a marathon, a sprint, a hint of table tennis and a smattering of formula 1, all mixed together at various stages. :)
      I'm going to try to enter next year with a more realistic initial target and a better plan of what I'd like to get done.
      Thanks again for running this.

      Delete
  2. Some great work here Stuart, and you're now deservingly adorned with the Holy Fur of the Ooh-Shiny Squirrel. Your tactic was an excellent one - I had lined up some "small" entries, but put them aside to make decent inroads into projects I was keen on. Next time round - perhaps a rematch? Revenge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am all squirrelled out at this stage. I started a bunch of new projects, (or at least got some paint on some old ones), so that was good. It's harder to procrastinate once you've made a start on something.
      As for a rematch, I'm not sure. My current thinking for next year is to take the opportunity to focus on a project that I have wanted to do for a while. You never know though, 9 months is a long time and clearly remaining focused is not my strong suit.

      Delete
  3. A great effort Stuart! I think everyone has burn out after the Challenge. I usually stop painting completely only picking up the brush a few weeks before the next Challenge. I hope that's not gonna happen this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I don't have much choice about painting again, I am putting on an Anglo-Zulu War game early in May and I have some figures I'd like to get done for that. So I'll probably be back at my painting table by the weekend. Good luck on making some more progress yourself!

      Delete
  4. So many squirrels - it's just as well that Curt called a "holt" to proceedings before they got out of hand :)

    Great output Stuart and I'm glad you enjoyed taking part :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tamsin, it has been fun. It helped to have positive feedback from others and to see what they have been doing. I really appreciated the comments left by yourself and others throughout the challenge. Between painting and minioning, where did you find the time?
      I'm looking forward to seeing what you paint for AHPC X

      Delete
  5. Super output and well done on winning the squirrel duel! It's funny I feel happy painting after the challenge,it kind of gets me going for the year, last year I painted a 108 figure 28mm swiss pikeblock just after the challenge,we are all different!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great effort, and congratulations on squirrelling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really good work and lots completed. Well done champion. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work. Like you I enjoyed seeing how someone else interpreted the same minatures as our historicals had a lot of overlap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicely done kind sir, squirrel on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Stuart, for your terrific efforts this Challenge, and for being one of the Wednesday Warriors!

    And most importantly, you kept this minion in the loop with your submission updates... An Informed Minion is a Happy Minion, and a Happy Minion is more inclined to be a Generous Minion... #justsayin
    ; )

    ReplyDelete