Sunday 16 February 2020

From BenitoM: Oberst Steiner at Hawkins' Hill (35 points)

In my tour at Challenge Island I climbed today at Hawkins' Hill and found a long-forgotten friend, stored in a drawer since 2015 (!!?).  


This is Oberst Steiner (a.k.a. Michael Caine) of the "Eagle Has Landed" fame. In 2015 (my first Challenge) my core project was a German Fallschirmjäger unit for Chain of Command. This mini representing the famous film character was supposed to be my Curtgeld for that year and also the Senior Leader of the force. 



As many times happens, I painted the copy that was shipped to Canada; but for different reasons (I don't honestly remember which) the second copy ended unpainted in a drawer. It was only when thinking about what I may have at home to comply with the Hawkins' Hill conditions (paint something pending from a previous Challenge at least 3 years old), that I suddenly remember this mini.



This is a very nice model from Warlord and is painted as featured in the last part of the film: British army trousers and boots, the Luftwaffe leather flieger jacket, the officer's visor cap, the iron cross in neckand a British Sten SMG hanging from  the shoulder.



Unfortunately, I have been checking in Warlord's website and the model is no longer available, so I was very fortunate to buy the two copies.

This entry should add 35 points to my Challenge score (5 points for the 28mm mini on foot + 30 points bonus for the site). Now strolling towards the Snow Lord Peak ... and to wait what Fate has in store for me.

Great work on this figure and a fitting entry for Hawlins' Hill.  Good luck on your push to the summit, I may see you up there shortly.

17 comments:

  1. Nice figure, Benito, and very nicely painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely looking character mini.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely figure, very nicely painted!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonder brushmanship Benito! I've admittedly never seen the movie but absolutely love the figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooooo?? not seen the film ???!!! 😵😵😵 Can’t hardly believe it

      Delete
    2. Good gravy Nick, you have to correct that oversight asap. It's a brilliant piece of 70s war-movie filmmaking. Robert Duvall is fantastic in it as well.

      Delete
  5. Excellent work, Benito - there's not many people know that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely figure, too good to be languishing in a drawer while his double is on display in the Canadian Prairies. A fine submission Benito.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work Benito, but my copy is nicer. ;P

    ReplyDelete