Sunday 29 March 2020

From StuartL - Challenge X Wrap Up

Well, the brushes have been cleaned and the painting desk reorganized, temporarily of course, the Quarantine Challenge has thrown my post challenge plans into a bit of a spin.

So, time to recap what went on during Challenge X eh? Well, my own feeling at the end of the whole thing was one of mild disappointment. Not with the challenge itself, the Snow Lord set things up and ran the whole show magnificently. No, this was one of disappointment in myself. Last year I managed a finish in the Top 10, painted nearly 270 minis and was thoroughly exhausted by the end of it. This year, I placed 25th, painted just over 100 minis and felt as fresh as a daisy. While I didn't want to burn myself out like I did last time, I know I could have done much better if I had put the effort in. In unrelated news, I did finish two PC games off over the course of the challenge. Could that be connected to my painting output somehow? Hmm.
On the other hand, I painted up a force for Rebels and Patriots in time to play a game with my friend before he left the area. I also got around to painting a vignette I had had in mind for a long time. So that's good. I'm happy with all of the minis I did, but the table below looks a little sparse compared to last year.


During the challenge I visited 14 of the 19 locations on my little tour and had a lot of fun trying to figure out how to tie them all together. Thank you to everyone who took the time to read my entries and comment on them.
And that leads me to my second reason why I am disappointed in myself. As with last year, I intended to comment on every entry that I read, but I quickly reached a point where I was missing entries and then entire days. Sadly real life gets in the way from time to time, but I also found that my phone (my principle method for viewing the challenge) was really struggling with the challenge website. I guess it is the format for the site where several entries and the background are loaded up at once. The Quarantine Challenge page seems to have a different layout for mobile and for desktop which makes it much easier to view. I can't promise I will comment on everything, but the intention is there.


As with last year, I have painted a fairly broad mix of stuff. The island tasks were certainly an interesting take on things, though at times I had a hard time finding stuff for them. I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. My hat is off to Noel for going across the island not once, but twice. A truly stunning feat of painting and effort.


So that's about it from me for this challenge. I'd like to thank Curt, Lady Sarah and all of the Minions for their hard work and diligence throughout the challenge. I'd also like to say thank you to all of the other entrants for their inspiring posts, fabulous minis and supportive comments. The sense of community here is astounding and I hope that it continues for many, many years to come.

See you all in the Quarantine Challenge.

Stuart

17 comments:

  1. You may have been distracted and not painted as much as planned, but your entries were all superb. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thank you for your comments on my other entries.

      Delete
  2. You posted some great work Stuart, and sanity is a major plus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do find sanity useful from time to time, but insanity is much more fun.

      Delete
  3. Some very good entries indeed Stuart, it was great to have you with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome to be here again. As I said, the challenge community is fantastic.

      Delete
  4. Some great entries, Stuart. And exhaustion is much over-rated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And yet we're both jumping straight back into the action without a second's hesitation.

      Delete
  5. Good work, Stuart! The frogs really stand out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I did them on a whim, but they turned out pretty well.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a terrific output - well done Stuart @

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm aiming to top that lot in the quarantine challenge though.

      Delete
  8. Lots of splendid entries Stuart, I really liked the demonic CEO!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think most of us have had a boss like him at one time or another.

      Delete
  9. It may have seemed that you were not on the mark, but your entries were excellent and I highly enjoyed (and appreciated) your adventure diaries. I've made it a policy to put aside my consol controller during the winter months as I know my brush output would go right out the window. Now that we're in the gentler waters of the QC I think I may have to indulge my XBox habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and support.
      Now that I have finished the games I was playing pre-challenge, I am avoiding starting anything new. The quarantine challenge is going to be getting as much attention as possible.

      Delete