Saturday 8 January 2022

From Codsticker: The First Distraction - 4 28mm ECW (20)

A slow, long running project of mine is a Royalist army for the English Civil War (or War of The Three Kingdoms if you prefer); although my buying and painting for it has slowed down this past year I still occasionally pick up a few figures here and there such as these fellows from Bloody Miniatures, a new range started last year.

This is  the first blister of 16, they are called The Mortuary Men and are meant to represent veteran fighters, possibly having practiced their trade on the continent before returning home.


These are large 28mm figures, meant to fit in with the now defunct Renegade Miniatures ECW line as well the ranges from Redoubt and Bicorne.


Although they would fit in well in a large army, there design is purposefully skirmish intended.


They have great faces and character, my painting really doesn't show the faces in the best light and the details are very easy to pick out.


Although about the size of GW's figures, the lack of bag's, pouches, skulls, etc. means you can paint them up well and quickly. Figures from this range will be constant distraction while I tackle my massive pile of LoTR figures this challenge.


So, a dead simple 4 x 28mm minis @5 pts each = 20 pts.

From Millsy

These are quite something Rob! I'm a big fan of the Renegade / Bicorne ECW ranges and you've certainly done these matching miniatures justice, never mind the beautiful setting. I love the fact you've gone with a range of different hues for the buff coats too.

What rules are you intending to use them for? I've been thinking about some 17thC skirmishing myself of late having been tempted by these minis too.

25 comments:

  1. Lovely quartet of civil war ruffians, they look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fine distraction, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking work and setting

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look brilliant! I've been tempted by the sand minis but haven't taken the dive yet... although I think you've persuaded me I need to 😁

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't see enough ECW in my opinion, I live on an ECW battlefield and I don't even have any in my collection! An underloved era which I hope to rectify if I reducdle my pile a bit first. Great paint jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. luvely figures and well painted.

    do they mounted obes as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No mounted figures yet, although I think he has plans to do some in the future.

      Delete
  7. They look great, and the church is a fine setting, though I suspect they’re not there to pray! As others have said, you got a subtle variety of colours into your palette.
    I do miss the Renegade ranges and always wonder why no one bought them.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have waited for them to pop up but... nothing. The majority of my collection is Warlord and Perry's so they wouldn't really fit in with the rank and file but would work well as singly based figures for skirmishing.

      Delete
  8. Thank you everyone for the nice comments I will be using these for games such as Pikeman's Lament and possibly Fistful of Lead or Donnybrook.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great! Very inspiring because I have the ones from Bloody Miniatures on my lead pile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely group of figures, great setting for the photos too 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely looking figures Rob, I quite fancy these myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work Rob. I love these figures - I have all the Bloody Miniatures prepped and ready, hopefully for the Challenge. I'm planning to use mine in Pikeman's Lament, although Ray has me thinking about Donnybrook now as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great presentation and painting of what is a really superb set of miniatures, I hope you'll be showing more in later rounds! The church looks superb and would love to know who makes it and also see it in all its glory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valleyboy. The structure of the church is made by Warbases but I have heavily modified it by adding sheet styrene, cast roof tiles and some putty work. You can read more about it here:
      http://codstickershistoricals.blogspot.com/2021/12/customised-warbases-church.html

      Delete
  14. Very nice! Your photography is outstanding as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic little characters, nice work

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice looking characters

    cheers
    matt

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely figures and setting.

    ReplyDelete