Monday 3 January 2022

From StuartL - Airborne Assault - Caprica - 125 Points

Hello again.

During the 2020 Quarantine Challenge, I painted up some US Airborne for the Normandy campaign. As I have had half an army sitting unpainted since then I decided that I was going to get the rest of them completed during this challenge. 


The models are all from Warlord Games' Bolt Action range and are the older, metal minis rather than then newer plastic models. They are lovely figures, though they are kind of busy due to all of the details packed into them. Airborne troops took everything with them that they might need and it really shows on these figures with ammo pouches, first aid kits and holstered pistols. There are 21 models in total but two are prone. (The mortar team).


After finishing off this lot, I had intended to take a picture of the finished army, but as I started laying out the models I thought, "Hang on, I have a light mortar team for these guys don't I?" A quick check of the box later and I found that when I was pulling minis to prepare for the challenge, I missed the bottom tray of the carrying case. I have another ten minis to do before the army is done. D'oh! Anyway, I'll try and get them primed and ready before the end of the challenge.

As for the Challenge Sector, today's target is Caprica, which has the theme of Doomed, and once again I have painted up a mini for This Is Not A Test (TNT). My regular warband for TNT is a group of Peacekeepers, essentially a para-military force that is trying to bring peace and tranquillity to the post-apocalyptic wasteland by shooting anyone that gets in their way. As the judge, jury and executioners, the peacekeepers have a couple of unique units, one of which is the Sacrificial Lamb. The Lamb is a settler or trader who committed some minor crime and was 'arrested' by the Peacekeepers. Rather than just execute them directly, the convict was given the chance to commute their sentence. Equipped with a melee weapon, they accompany the Peacekeepers into the wasteland as extra muscle. 


Out in that vast wilderness it is tempting for the convict to try to make a break for it, or to duck out of combat rather than go toe-to-claw with some mutated beastie. To ensure that the convict does what they are told, a large explosive device is strapped to their backs and wired to a radio detonator. After a game, if the Sacrificial Lamb was detonated, a Peacekeeper warband gets another one for free. I have yet to end a game with my Lamb still on the table. 💥


The model is from Warlord Games' Project Z (perhaps ironically) Male Survivors boxed set. I added some plasticard straps for the harness and a radio antenna from a GW sprue and gave him a quick and dirty paint job. This model will barely be on the table long enough to be seen anyway. 
Given the rather short term job prospects of being a Sacrificial Lamb, I think this chap counts as being quite Doomed and therefore should score me some bonus points.

So, for my tally:
20x 28mm models = 100 Points.
2x prone 28mm models = 5 Points.
Caprica Bonus = 20 Points.



It's great to have you back this year Stuart.  Nice work on the paratroopers, I don't have the patience for a lot of the late WW2 figures with all their gear and subtle shading.  I also like the sacrificial offering, a worthy submissions  for Caprica.  Next time round, can I suggest that you post your "regular" stuff in a separate post from any challenge locations so that the specials stand out a bit?

16 comments:

  1. Nifty work on these given all the detail involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice paratroopers and I do hope Survivor survives...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Lamb, Stuart. Just seeing the backwards facing ballcap would make me grab for the remote trigger. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one Stuart! The Paras are excellent

    ReplyDelete
  5. 10 bonus minis! Hooray! Good luck with your lamb longevity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Stuart, love those paras.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work on the Paratroopers and "survivalist" Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stuart I’ve added 10 points to the final tally to include the mortar as a crew served weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking paras and community service chap!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking Paras 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete