Thursday 6 January 2022

From KenR - More new 28mm Garibaldi Red Shirts (120 points)

 


No surprises again today as the 3rd of my Garibaldi Infantry units is completed. As before we have 24 x 28mm figures from Gringo 40s and a standard from Flags of War.


As I said in the last post I am trying to make each unit slightly different for ease of table top recognition. This unit has all light blue trousers with no strip and white gaiters, it also lacks any facings.

I've done something a bit different with the photos for this unit (to stop you lot getting bored with the repetition 😁) I've used a white background, something I've tried a couple of times before and I'm never sure if I like it or not. It's certainly a lot harder to light than my usual terrain backgrounds.

Points wise it's 120 points made up of 24 x 5 points for each of the 28mm Foot.

From now on I intend to add a little bit of the history of the Battle of Mentana (the end goal of this Project) to each post.

Italy is a relatively new country and bar a short spell under Napoleon and been divided into smaller states, those of you familiar with my Italian Wars collection will know all about the armies of Venice, Milan, Naples and of course my favourite the Papal States.

The Italian Wars of Independence had been in progress since the late 1840s and by 1861 the country had been largely united, The Papal States however remained Independent and supported diplomatically and militarily by France.

Garibaldi who had been the hero of the Unification however was unhappy with this and led an expedition against Rome, diplomatically entitled "Rome or Death". Luckily for him it entailed neither and pressure from France stopped the advance and Garibaldi was briefly imprisoned.

The 3rd War of Unification in 1866 brought Venice and Mantua under the Italian flag leaving Rome and the Papal States on its own. To make things worse the French removed their troops from the area and Garibaldi saw an opportunity to avenge the failed attack on the Rome a few years earlier. (To be continued....)


Just to finish off a group shot of the build to date. Next up I start on the opposition as I have a go at the Papal Zouaves, it's a big unit of 36 figures so it might be a couple of weeks before they appear.

Great work again, and thanks for the history lesson! I await the next instalment of Rome or Death! Your background has worked well. The Snowlord uses a black background; I have enjoyed your photos with figures among scenery.

Barks

38 comments:

  1. Amazing work on this project Ken, both in terms of quality and quantity. I’m looking forward to more history lessons too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, I will add a bit to the history each post 👍

      Delete
  2. I am thoroughly enjoying your posts and project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More fabulous looking Italians!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a brilliant looking army

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, a long way to go but its starting to look the part 👍

      Delete
  5. You had me at Garibaldi, but 'Rome or Death' is icing on the cake. Great work Ken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might get some T shirts done with the slogan on 😄

      Delete
  6. They look good Ken! White background is kind of sharper, but terrain background makes them more life like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, they definitely give different looks, it's a lot quicker to do the white background though 😀

      Delete
  7. Another excellent unit Ken and a useful history lesson - thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, stand by for a further lesson in the next post 👍

      Delete
  8. I tried "Rome or Death" with a travel agent and encountered similar results.

    Great work as always Ken, and it is a marvel to watch your projects come together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have to do the "Bradford or Bust" trip before you can do "Rome or Death" 😉😆

      Delete
  9. Great Red Shirts ....

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  10. More lovely redshirts, Ken! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work Ken, a hard charging unit full of elan and grappa! Great to see you making so much progress on this project. Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  12. Splendid looking unit!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I never, that stuff about Italy is fascinating, I had no idea it was only so recently that it came together. The uniforms are very striking but I’m most impressed with your work on the faces as they’ve come up trumps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Jamie, great figs are easy to paint 👍

      Delete
  14. Love watching this project develop. Great painting, and thanks for the history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Tune In next week for another exciting episode of "Rome or Death" 😄

      Delete
  15. A cracking good set of troops Ken!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  16. More amazing work Ken.
    When the time comes for the French, I think your amazing combination of progress and final look will make me cry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Greg, the French are on hold at the moment as I'm waiting for Perrys to bring their plastic French Franco Prussian figs out 👍

      Delete
  17. Fantastic Ken, I do like Garibaldi units

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete