Monday 21 March 2022

Final Post of Challenge XII: A Bookcase Vignette for Noel's Comet (50 Points)


Well here we are, three months, 885 posts, 86,634 points and gosh knows how many painted miniatures later, sitting at the close of another edition of the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. Wow. It's been another terrific season, with friends reacquainted, new ones made, and a general delight in all things wee, fun and somehow essential to our spirits.

Speaking of good friends, for my last post, I've traveled to Noel's Comet where it's asked that we provide something related to 'friendship'. 

I admit that, of all the thematic locations within the Challenge XII Sector, I've been looking forward to visiting this one most of all. 

I really miss Noel. He had a wonderful wit and a tremendously generous spirit. I always enjoyed a 'Noel post' as I knew his stories were always good for a BIG coffee and a good laugh. Just before he passed, Noel wrote a wonderful article about the Challenge for Wargames Illustrated. It was a 'typical' Noel piece, funny, engaging and ebullient about its subject. He loved the Challenge, most of all the people that make it, and it clearly shows in his writing.  I'm including a copy of it here for you to enjoy (and begging forgiveness from the publishers for 'spreading the Word of Noel' - thank you Sander for the PDF).


https://drive.google.com/file/d/1flsaJwJcn-0wFlr70cVlD4UgerwcW3DS/view?usp=sharing

Rest easy Noel - You are missed.

_______________________________________


As to my entry for Noel's Comet, I wanted to illustrate the 'friendship' theme by doing something regarding my best friend, Gary.

Gary and I have been friends since our teenage years. We both come from the same small northern community, his family farmed, while mine worked in town. We met through a mutual friend who told me about this new game called 'Dungeons and Dragons'. I was intrigued, and the next weekend I cycled out to my friend's farmhouse (not having a car I cycled EVERYWHERE) to see what it was all about. 

I found the four of them, all sitting around a small card table, oddly shaped dice and paper strewn about, madly scribbling, talking furtively, while penciling-out a map on graph paper. I was absolutely entranced (remember, this is 1980, when it was all so new). Gary introduced himself and he asked if I would like to roll up a character and play. And there it was. My first tentative steps into gaming, and the beginning of a friendship that has spanned decades.

Over the following years Gary and I were nigh inseparable. We hung out all the time. Gaming, movies, listening to music, concerts, holidays, you name it - we basically lived in each other's pocket. As we were both fairly quiet and bookish, and our community being, um, quite rough-and-tumble, we became each other's refuge. I cringe to think of what my teenage years would have been like without him.

Gary is a few years older than I am, and so when he left for university, I would often skip school on Fridays in order to catch the bus to hang out with him in the city over the weekend. Later, when I left home, Gary joined me in Winnipeg, where we started a game store together. I met Sarah through him, and he was my Best Man at our wedding. Due to my career, I've had to move around the country, but our friendship, over the years and miles, has never dimmed. We always make time to see each other a few times a year, and when it happens it always seems like putting on an old comfortable sweater.

So, what is the thing that I've made to illustrate our friendship? Well, after the first few months of playing D&D (and gosh, we played it every possible moment we could), we decided to plunk down for the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons books. This was a substantial expenditure for young teens of limited means. But we saved and scraped our funds together, and placed a group order to TSR in Wisconsin. A few weeks later Gary received a big parcel in the mail containing all our books, some dice and a bunch of figures. It was absolutely magical. I still have my original books from that order, as does Gary. Really, it's amazing the pages haven't fallen out of those books for the amount of time we poured over spells, creatures, magical items, etc. They really were a gateway to another world. 

Anyway, fast forward a few decades, where I'd come across Otherworld Miniatures, who offered a brilliant set of models depicting the scene on the cover of The Players Handbook. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to get it.  Well, it's been sitting on my worktable for the past few years, you know, seasoning, while I ruminated on how I wanted to build it... and here we are.

I've been quite taken with these bookcase inserts I've seen featured on various design websites. Basically it's where an alley, or street scene, is rendered in miniature within a roughly hardback-sized dimension. I've wanted to try my hand at one, and thought that perhaps I could come up with something using the Players Handbook cover as inspiration.

I sketched up a design and sent it to Byron, who then cut it into 3mm MDF for me. He was also kind enough to pass along a few sheets of 3mm depron foam so I could make the stone walls. Thanks Byron! 

I cut the Depron to shape, traced out the pattern for the stonework, and then textured the surface using a couple of rocks. 

After that, I used a blunt pencil to score the edges of the stone blocks to give them better definition for the dry brushing to come later.


If I had used the depron on the floor, I would have raised it too high for the statue to fit nicely within the archway (bad design on my part), so I tried an old trick I've used in the past. I simply cut out 'flagstones' from old business cards, glued them straight onto the MDF floor, and then dry brushed them to match the existing stonework. Not perfect, but it does the trick.



I considered rigging the scene with LED mini lights, but I knew that sooner or later they would degrade and fail, so I decided to go full analog instead. With my airbrush having packed it in recently, I did up the flame and lighting effects using a wet pallete and a good old brush. Very analog indeed!





After painting the enclosure and pinning the miniatures into place, I then glued in the remaining side wall. I then gave the exterior a coat of satin spray to help in future dusting... and it was done.


This upcoming week, Sarah and I will be travelling to Winnipeg to stay with Gary and his partner Mike for a little vacation. Gary's birthday was earlier this month, so this will be a belated gift to him. I look forward to seeing it, along with his collection of RPG books, nestled in the bookshelf.

There it is. I present you with my (very long-winded) final entry, AND our final entry of Challenge XII. 

___________________________


Before I sign off, I want to thank our wonderful Minions: Peter, Tamsin, Greg, Barks, Dave and Millsy for all their patience and hard work over the past three months. This event couldn't have happened without you amazing folks. Kudos to Miles for once again recreating the 'Spreadsheet of Doom' which is absolutely integral to our scoring and administration. I also want to thank Sidney Roundwood for his invaluable help in creating our Challenge map this year. I want to extend my gratitude all our Challenge sponsors for providing the prizes that we've issued and will be issuing in the award post. But most importantly, I want to thank all of our participants for their industry, good humour, and their unstinting support for one another over the event. The Challenge would be nothing without you.

As per tradition, in a day or two I ask everyone to post a picture of themselves along with the work you've managed to get done during the Challenge.

Over the coming two weeks (ending midnight April 3rd) I will be accepting nominations for Challengers' Choice. So cast your eyes back over the past three months and email me your top three nominations (ranked 1-3 please). From that august group I will create a poll on the blog for everyone to vote on to determine the winner.

In three weeks (April 10th) I will post the results of the Challengers' Choice, Sarah's Choice, Minions' Choice and Snowlord's Choice.

And with this I close the twelfth edition of Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge!

Please take care and continue being awesome. 

- Curt


42 comments:

  1. That’s a beautiful way to end Challenge XII. Thanks again, Curt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post Curt! I'm sure Gary will love his pressie. Thanks for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice diorama, Curt! I have been thinking about to create one by myself and this really inspires me! Most of the stuff I have seen were overly complicated with curved walls, swamps, trees and so on, but I haven't thought of a simple Dungeon as a starting point. Thank you very much for the idea (and running this Challenge)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tremendous diorama, and of a classic piece of art to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s cracking … a great creation . I look forward the challenge XIII. While this one hasn’t been great for a few reasons , pretty sure they are all one-off! I have enjoyed my minion duties again this year .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome final post, Curt. The vignette is fantastic, I'm sure it will take pride of place on your friend's shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is gobsmackingly awesome Curt! Both your tribute to Noel and Gary is very fitting and the booknook is inspiring! Thanks are indeed in order to the Minions, yourself and the Lady Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cracking book nook, Curt! I'm sure Gary will love his gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a way to end, not only does this showcase your talent but more importantly shows what a thoroughly decent bloke you are. Well done and thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to end this years Painting Challenge. As an old school D&D player (who still plays with the same groups of friends nearly 40 years later!) I have to say that is a fine looking Book Nook. Nicely done sir!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful piece with an equally wonderful backstory mate! I'm particularly impressed by your OSL. It would grace any bookshelf and Gary is a lucky chap indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous work Curt, this will be a brilliant gift for Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent Challenge end. Wonderful story and hobby piece. I imagine many of us has this D&D type story as a kickoff of our hobby life. Well done on the whole Challenge and have a great spring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very thoughtful tribute to both Noel and Gary and superbly executed. Thanks for another wonderful challenge even if other matters kept me a bit more distant than usual. I can promise a statistical summary will be inflicted upon ALL OF YOU in the coming days.

    Be well

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea and brilliantly realised!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is the coolest thing I've seen this year! I have lots of memories staring at that very scene while the DM rolled(lots of) dice, muttered and laughed maniacally! 😅
    A very worthy post for Noel! An awesome present for Gary!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great painting and craft work dude! And congratulations to everyone on completing the Painting Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great diorama, Curt. I've said it before but I'll say it again, a big thank you for organising such a fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Curt:
    A very fitting final post and entry for a wonderful Challenge. Your entry is brilliant and evokes similar memories of how I came to gaming through the same books and friendships (sadly not as long lasting as yours and Gary's). Thank you for the article by Noel, I shall read that at my leisure. I regret that I took a break from the Challenge while he was active and so missed his acquaintance.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  20. A very nice ending to a great event. Lovely story and terrific paint job. It takes me back to those long ago days when first I started to play D&D, a reminder of friendships made and lost over time. Thank you Curt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic diorama and tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks awesome dude, well done. Thanks for organizing the Challenge again, looking forward to seeing you later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A beautiful tribute to Noel and an amazing gift for a friend. A fitting close to the Challenge indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That’s one heck of a present, Curt! However, I really loved your friendship tale and even more your great and fitting tribute to Noel. And, of course, thank you so much for organising another fabulous Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic entry to finish off the Challenge and a great tribute to Noel.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful post and great vignette - that edition was the one that got me started on D&D as well and it all makes a fitting tribute to Noel

    ReplyDelete
  27. A great piece ending a great challenge Huzzah

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great work Curt! Wonderful diorama. I am already planning the project for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's a truly impressive (and moving!)homage to Noel. What a wonderful job, Curt. Thanks again another year for taking care of the Challenge. Extending my appreciation to Sarah,all the minions and special thanks to David the Firday's goalkeeper.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Curt,
    This is such a beautiful way to wrap up the Challenge. Noel's article is lovely and it is heartwarming to see him so fondly remembered here. Your painting, as usual, is top tier. And, for me, as I know and love him, your childhood memories of Gary made my day (possibly my slog through the long winter of the pandemic). All I can say is it is a blessing the two of you moved to Winnipeg and got the crazy idea to open a hobby shop (and, that you didn't flee in horror from your first invite to our Rolemaster game). A great Challenge for all. Wishing health, happiness and peace. Douglas

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful idea, beautifully executed. You have reminded me of the joy I felt poring over my friend's copy of the Monster Manual and Player's Handbook back in the early 1980s. Thank you again for another wonderful year of the Challenge, thank you to the most excellent minions, and to all the talented and generous participants. It has been a great 3 months in your company.

    ReplyDelete
  32. A fitting ending to the Challenge and a great piece of work - the post, the tributes and Gary's gift. It's diffucult to imagine Gary won't be delighted with his present.

    The Challenge has been a haven at a time when there's not much joy around, so sincere thanks for all your efforts and the great work done by your lieutenants. I'd also like to thank the participants who've kept me entertained and continually impressed by the quality of your work and the industrial level of output.

    This is an unusually formal comment posting from me. I'll try to do better next time . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a fantastic way to wrap up the Challenge, it's definitely not been the same without Noel, I raise a glass in his honour 🥃 Slàinte Mhath

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great wrap-up. I also want to thank everyone who made this painting challenge such a great event!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you everyone for your kind words. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great final post. A fitting tribute to Noel and Gary. I really enjoyed meeting Gary and Mike last year.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Splendid post, bogh for Noel who I was lucky enough to minion to and was delightful and to the players handbook vignette, an important book in my teenage years, basic D&D, rapidly followed by this book were my gateway drugs into this hobby, so once again well done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  38. That’s a beautiful vignette, a great end to the Challenge, and a serious contender for Challenger’s Choice!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I know I am somewhat late posting, but I had to finally create an account and let everyone know that I did, indeed, love Curt”s diarama and it is now proudly located between my Player”s Handbook and my Dieties and Demigods! Of course I was also a little teary-eyed at the write up, as I have very fond memories of those days as well, and Curt described them with the life-changing reverence that time and his friendship meant to me (and still does!) I was never the painter Curt was, and I relied on him to provide the miniatures for our games, but he did coach me enough that I was able to get halfway through a cracking good set of Call of Cthulhu figures that I was quite proud of if I do say so myself! So thanks again Curt for the diarama and the decades of friendship; I appreciate them both more than I can say.
    -Gary

    ReplyDelete
  41. A fantastic piece to end with I must say, and a fine eulogy also.

    cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete