Thursday 10 March 2022

From Jez Todd: Italian Wars Gendarmes 28mm (50 points)

 Dear All,

Hope you had a great week so far? Returning to the Italian Wars for me with some Redoubt Miniatures 28 mm Gendarmes. I really like these figures and decided to blend them into my existing bases rather than create a single new unit - here am playing Basic Impetus. 

First up is a great super heavy cavalry figure, I really liked the splendid horse barding so wanted to switch this figure in to my main French unit of gendarmes. After all these are supposed to be the best in Europe! 


Redoubt figure - painted pre basing

Added to the French Gendarme base - other figures are mainly Foundry

Next I painted 3 figures up as Italian cavalry and based the colours on the Gonzaga family featuring their sun "impresa"  using the illustration in the new Osprey rival Helion publishing - Retinue to Regiment series, The Italian Wars vol. 1 based around the Battle of Fornovo 1495. 





Finally the last figure I decided to paint up and base as a command figure Francesco Gonzaga - the old commander got relegated to being a mere Gendarme on the above picture. Again followed the colours illustration for Francesco in the Helion publishing book. 



Altogether that is 5 cavalry so simple 50 points - no squirrel this time as this is a continuation of my Italian Wars theme. 

Finally if you are interested in the Helion publishing reference book here is a picture. I also have vol. 2 and just seen that vol. 3 based on Battle of Pavia is also available. Interestingly they have a Wargames series and looks like there will be a book on the Italian Wars by some guy called "The Yarkshire Gamer" ! Definitely one to look out for .....  



 

Cheers Jez

Nice work on these heavy knights, Jez. The group basing looks good. It is great to have a decent reference book to hand.

Barks



11 comments:

  1. Good looking knights, Jez, especially the first one in red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking gendarmes, you can't wack the Great Italian wars, I had a go recently at Fornova based on the Osprey campaign book but I am really tempted by the Helion series!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great gendarmes Jez. I have that book and it’s sequel, great resources both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic stuff Jez! Gendarmes always make me want to check out the Italian Wars period, but wow, they are intimidating from a hobby perspective (and, hey, they would have been in real life too, I expect!). Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great. Nothing beats a cavalry charge across the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all great, love the command stand!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very colorful. Excellent! Well done.

    ReplyDelete