Thursday 10 March 2022

From SimonM: "Catalyst Games Lab" Battletech & "Brigade Models" Land Ironclads (30 Points)

For my ninth post I thought I would work on some more 1:285 scale Battletech models by Catalyst Game Labs which I plan to use to bolster my single French Weird War Two walker, and probably the beginning of a quite large company of French super-soldiers as well. In addition, I’ve started on the beginning of a 1/1200th British force of Land Ironclads by Brigade Models, having found the some flat-looking, diminutive sculpts gathering dust after over a decade in a drawer.

The two plastic models of the 43mm tall Warhawk and 32mm tall Kit Fox are produced by “Catalyst Game Labs” and can be found together in the “BattleTech: Clan Fire Star” along with a Cougar, Fire Moth, and Nova Cat. All the pre-assembled miniatures also come with an assortment of MechWarrior pilot and Alpha Strike cards depicting various colour schemes. But as I plan to use these particular sculpts as a Bloch class and Caudron-Renault class French War Walker for an upcoming Weird War Two campaign, I decided to go with a predominantly pale blue palette.

Both figures were therefore initially given a double undercoat of “Vallejo” Heavy Bluegrey and shaded in “Citadel” Drakenhof Nightshade. They were then dry-brushed using (more) “Vallejo” Heavy Bluegrey with a softly-bristled make-up blusher brush, and had their tiny cockpit windows ‘picked out’ with the odd a dab of “Citadel” Abaddon Black.

In order to add a bit of interest to the rather lightly-coloured models I decided to add a few ‘points of interest’ on them where possible by ‘picking out’ the odd detail using a combination of “Vallejo” German Grey and “Citadel” Nuln Oil. Later I gave these diminutive areas a delicate dry-brush of (more) “Vallejo” German Grey to help highlight their details.

I also applied some “Citadel” Abaddon Black to all their weapons, before pigmenting them with some “Vallejo” Gunmetal and a splash of “Citadel” Nuln Oil. Finally, I applied some French roundels, Tricolore and Croix de Lorraine by “Decal Details” to any parts of the figures I thought appropriate.

The twelve Elemental battle-armoured infantry are all 6mm in height, and were painted using the self-same colours as the Warhawk and Kit Fox. I did however, apply some “Vallejo” Sombre Grey to the super-soldiers’ smoke trails, before washing them with “Citadel” Nuln Oil. The jet-streams were then dry-brushed with (more) “Vallejo” Sombre Grey and some White too.

The twenty-four Mk.I Armoured Gun Carriers are approximately 4mm x 9mm in size, and had previously been super-glued in fours upon a 30mm x 40mm plastic rectangle (presumably so they could be used in Land Ironclads – whose rulebook I’ve currently misplaced). All the tiny tanks were primed with a couple of layers of “Vallejo” Earth and shaded using a combination of “Citadel” Agrax Earthshade and "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade.

I then carefully dry-brushed them all with (more) “Vallejo” Earth, before patiently picking out all their side-mounted guns with a combination of Gunmetal and “Citadel” Nuln Oil. To be honest, the hardest part in painting these little guys was subsequently tidying up the grit surrounding the vehicles so I could later dry-brush their bases and get them tabletop ready.

Hopefully this latest AHPC entry will provide:

1 x 28mm Mech as per previous Battletech posts = 5 points

1 x 40mm Mech as per previous Battletech posts = 7 points

12 x 6mm Infantry = 6 Points

24 x 2mm (small) Vehicles = 12 Points (based on their size/painting time being similar to 6mm Infantry figures)..?

Total = 30 Points


I really like the utilitarian blue-grey with deep, oily shadows on your mechs. I think 0.5 points per tiny tank is about right.

Barks

18 comments:

  1. I absolutely love these! Nice to hear how you painted them, the result is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Emjenic. I'll be using this recipe for all my weird War French from now on I think. :-)

      Delete
  2. Great looking weird war stuff,looks splendid!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. That light blue is beautiful scheme for an army. Good job with these tiny ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look wonderful. Great paint scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great batch of cbt stuff! Simon you have done the Khan proud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking mechs Simon!

    ReplyDelete