Friday 4 March 2022

From MartijnN: Ruins, Wargs and Goblins (220 points)

Last week I had to undergo some very minor surgery; nothing much, but enough to prevent me from providing an entry on Friday. However, I hope to make up for it by this Friday's post! Alas, I have not found a clever way to tie this to my next destination, Cybertron, so no planet bonuses today!

First, we have a ruined keep. It is a 3d printed model. It's FDM printed, and it suffered somewhat from stringing. However, I tried to take some advantage of that by making it appear as vegetation or damage to the building. Gave it a heavy wash, drybrushed with green and ivory, some green to simulate moisture near the apertures, some tufts and there you go. I'm actually quite happy with it.

It's a 28mm model, printed at 75%


Old Minifigs 15mm figures for scale only

Next, I have been working on my Battle of Five Armies set. There are three units of goblins, two of Wrgs and two of Warg Riders. Once again, I tried to paint the units rather than the individual figures, so they are not going to win any awards but the overall effect is nice. Incidentally, as I am a firm Tolkienist I will not have green goblins or orcs in my armies. Apart from Space Orks, that is.




Here are all my models from the BOFA set so far; the Men of Dale certainly look to be in a rather tight spot!


"Would that night came, or the Prussians!"

Still five units of Goblins to go. And one of Wargs. And two of Warg Riders. And the Elves, the Dwarves and the characters. And the Eagles. And the terrain. And then the second set, of course.

Anyway. 

Pointswise:

The ruin is more or less a 6"cube, so I'd like 20 points;

The goblin infantry are 126 x 10mm foot = 126

The Warg Riders are 24 x 10mm horse = 48

The Wargs are 24 x 10mm foot = 24

For a total of 220, which smashes my target!

These are two of the armies of the Battle of Five Armies so I'd like to claim two squirrels (one for the goblins and one for the Wargs, along with the 12 points of Wargs in my previous BOFA post), but as always to the discretion of the Squirrel Master.



That keep looks superb - I particularly like that you've gone with brown hues for the stonework. And very nice little Tolkien minis too.

Yours maths was slightly out - the total comes to 218 points, but I'm adding a couple of bonus points to round it off!

Tamsin

12 comments:

  1. The Men of Dale would probably like to get inside that ruined keep, all those wargs and goblins nearby. The ruin looks excellent and the units look good units, worthy of gaming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent job on the keep and the units.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Martijn. I do like the ruin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking troops and a lovely looking ruin!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really love that ruined keep, stone work looks aces. Also great to see the massed orcs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. some great stuff, strangely enough I like the castle ruins best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic ruin and love the Bofas

    ReplyDelete
  8. The stonework on the keep is so well done. I really like the greenery touches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ruins look spectacular! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That ruin looks impressive, well done on the units too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, what a great entry. I LOVE that castle ruin and those old school BotFA units are brilliant. So jealous of those (rare as hen's teeth).

    ReplyDelete