Thursday 5 January 2023

From ByronM - Black & White AND Under Construction (80 Points)

For my second entry of the day I am covering off my last two mandatory green pass studio spaces, although I plan to do more.  

First up, I am visiting the Black & White studio where I really had no idea what to do, and was just going to paint up a random Great War figure in B&W, but then I saw a post on the blog and changed my mind. I am therefore stealing JohnathanO's wonderful idea of painting up some Weeping Angels.  


I found a STL file for them online, and printed out a pair of them to paint, but one had the wing kind of separate a bit, and while ok for a statue, I printed off a second pair of the so that they were perfectly correct.  I then broke out the airbrush and did a quick black base coat and then a zenithal white highlight.  I then blasted it with a stone grey colour, washed them and then applied some quick stone grey highlights.  Super fast and super easy, and I think they turned out awesome!  So thank JohnathanO for the great idea, as I now have some great little pieces I can use as Angels or simply terrain bits.

Next up I am visiting the Under Construction space with a return to a long sidelined project.  Years ago now Games Workshop released a bunch of new Ork Vehicles including a F1 race car, a jet car and a few others.  I immediately wanted to paint them up just for fun, then heard about a game that Curt plays called Charioteer and thought I would base them all up, find some Imperial vehicles to fit with them and start playing them as chariots just for fun, I mean after all Orks can't shoot the broadside of a barn anyway, so close in combat is their thing anyway. 

Anyway, I promised I was going to get some old stuff done this challenge and this resurrects that project with one of the Imperial vehicles I picked up for it, an Adeptus Mechanicus roadster.

I painted this one to match my existing Adeptus Mechanicus force in deep crimsons and brass colours, and then based it to match the Ork vehicles that I had started before.

 
Overall I am really happy with how it came out and can not wait to get the other vehicles done now so that we can start racing.  Oh, and I might have laser cut a board for them to all fit into so that they look cooler when racing, so hopefully I can show that off sometime later in the challenge.

As for points, the statues are all 28mm figures so 5 points each = 20 plus the 20 points for the theme space.  And then the vehicle is a 28mm car so 20 points for it, plus another 20 for the second theme space of the day, for a total of 80 points!

From TeemuL: It is good to see that this Challenge has already inspired some of us! Those grey statues/angels look great and are very usable in various settings, I guess. I do remember one of your race car red ork vehicles, it was just brilliant - must have been some 5 Challenges ago or something. This new one will make a great competitor for that (and Curt's "chariots", too). I like the skull head lights and the road it is riding. There's a fair amount of skuls, but you are not joining the Skull Duel madness, aren't you?

16 comments:

  1. That's a great stone colour you've achieved, and the roadster is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful statues and that roadster looks wonderfully brutal. I'm sure it's very fuel efficient...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you know me, I am not an enviro-commie.... If it's a choice between a big rumbling V8 or a Polar bear, I will pick the v8 every day of the week! I will burn petrol (and lots of it) until the day I die! Why should my miniatures be any different! Although this one looks like a v6.... sigh...

      Delete
  3. Loving those statues, o want the stl myself now! Great to see the ork car painted up too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adeptus.
    Mechanicus.
    Roadster.
    YES!
    Great job Byron. Oh man...that car...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I have one other Imperial Inquisition one in the works as well. I forget what damn company made them though... I kept hoping they would come out with more.

      Delete
    2. Here you go:
      https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/?yith_wcan=1&product_cat=cars

      Delete
  5. Those statues look really very good, and the car is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool statues there!Always have to turn away ( which is not right ) when we see such things now thanks to Dr Who!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, was such a cool idea for villians. Scared the crap out of my son when he was younger. Such a shame Dr. Who ended a three or four years back, no more cool low budget stuff like that.

      Delete
  7. Great entries Byron, I really like both

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super entries Byron - 3D prints are getting better and better

    ReplyDelete