Wednesday 22 February 2023

From PeterB - The Saint and some ruins - 23 Points

 

Earlier this month I painted up some Warhammer 40k characters from the series of Gaunts Ghosts books and the title of my post was "From the Sabbat Worlds". This area of space are named after Sabbat Beati and thus Gaunt and his men take part in the Sabbat Crusade. 


Image taken from 40K Fandom




The Saint appeared to Mad Larkin when he was separated from his colleagues when a statue in a ruined church came to life and spoke to him. She then re-incarnated during the Crusade and joined the Ghosts, briefly recruiting them as an Honour Guard.

In 40K lore Sabbat is always shown in images as if painted not naturally but like a mythological being. My own personal interpretation when I read the books was that she appeared like a young, unimposing character like Joan of Arc. She is lost in a crowd of pilgrims and unassuming, only making an impact when she takes action. Luckily I had just the model.

 

As you probably are wondering...

Yes, my photos are normally lovingly edited...

and framed better but technology hated me today...

and as my day job is working in IT I had had enough by now

 (Honestly, Blogger wouldn't play today, my phone wouldn't connect to my raspberry Pi and then my Pi wouldn't unzip the folder of images downloaded from my Dropbox. I am the first to roll my eyes and say the problem is with the user not the computer, but sheesh, something was conspiring against me today.)


The other part of my entry today is actually the background of my previous images. Last September at our local wargame show, Colours. I was under strict instructions from my son to find him a gift of some pieces of terrain for our gaming table. I found someone selling back issues of the 40K bit part magazine that had this piece of terrain included and he loved it. We undercoated and constructed it together and then he declared that I had to paint it for him. (I should just start buying him pre-painted and save myself the bother.) 

The building is technically cuboid in the dimensions of 5 x 5 x 7 inches, so 18 points? We are limited for storage space in our home, especially for bulky bits of terrain so I haven't stuck it to a base board and then also we can use the two parts separately on our table if required. 

Blatant skull close up

In photos it looks just like a grey brick


There is some detail painted on though, honest


I'm tagging Sabbat for Sarah's choice, but as I have already visited all the Studio's apart from the Directors I won't claim for the Limo bonus points.

So, 1 x 28mm = 5 pts

1 building at 18 pts.

Total = 23 points.

 

Minion Miles: love the sword color! 

 

27 comments:

  1. Now I expected some incarnation of Roger Moore, but this is also great. Good job, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Ah yes, Roger Moore, or for those who are fans of terrible movies, Val Kilmer...

      Delete
  2. Now I need to see Sabbat standing beside the limousine ,,, the colours are almost the same 💚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Tessaract Glow contrast paint over white then highlighted up to white. I've been a non fan of contrasts but the addition of a metal ball bearing to the pot before a good hard shake meant this one seems to work nicely.

      Delete
  3. A great take on an iconic character. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt. I think that's it for Abnett characters. (Unless I can find a cool way to do Ravener's hover chair.....)

      Delete
    2. There are a few 3d prints out there. I've wanted to do one for awhile as I love the character.

      Delete
  4. Thats a really nice paint job Peter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid character and terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite series of scifi books, very nice work too! I like the glowing sword and the skull on the ruins is nicely done, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. They are great, I'm due a reread soon me thinks.

      Delete
  8. Splendid work Peter, Joan d’Arc is a local favourite saint and her early statue in the sower square where the renaissance bridge was has a winged Joan also.

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely stuff, good choice for her.

    ReplyDelete