Monday 27 February 2023

KenR : 1/700 Z25 German Destroyer and Crew (41 pts)

 


Just the one post this week and it's a continuation of my failed Italian Wars Project, and yes you guessed it, its another ship ! But just to spice things up I've added some 1/700 scale crew, about 50 of them, that seemed like a good idea after about 10, the enthusiasm quickly went.

It looks similar to last weeks German Destroyer but this is Z25 a Type 1936 A Class ship and is shown in its late war format, with a turret removed at the rear which has been replaced by additional AA mounts. The model is a 1/700 Trumpeter kit which as I mentioned last week are considerably more detailed than Tamiya Equivalents, this model has 230 parts, not including the crew.

The crew come from a company called Eduard, them come pre coloured and are 2d Photo etch, they need a touch up on the top of the heads and the hands as its impossible to remove them from their sprues without damaging them. I think they really bring the ship to life and give you a real sense of the ship being a real thing rather than just a model.

The colour scheme is a basic one, but as with last weeks ship, I think this really allows the weathering to shine, I've also painted the lifeboats in a Green Ochre colour which is an alternative to the grey on my previous German Ship.


 Points wise its the usual 40 with 0.02 points for each of the 50 crew making a total of 41 points 😄

I have a bit of time of work as the Challenge enters its final month so I hope to reach my 1500 pt target with a bit of graft over the next 3 weeks. On the WW2 Naval Project front, I have Prinz Eugen and Ark Royal Built and ready to paint but I've nearly made a huge mistake on Ark Royal (revealed on Twitter soon) so there is a bit of a delay on that. However I would like to get both of those larger ships done before the Challenge ends. If I had planned this Project I would have built and primed the ships before we started !

I plan to do a live tweet event as I attempt to complete a destroyer from scratch in a day later this week. My subject will be the Canadian Tribal Class Destroyer HMCS Huron in honour of our Host Curt, so if you are on Twitter have a look out for @yarkshiregamer on Tuesday at 9am UK time for the off.

Until next week (or maybe Tuesday !)


Fresh off the win we have Ken with another stunning 1:700 ship.  Excellent weathering and ocean effects and adding crew members is totally bonkers, but looks great.  Looking forward to more ships AND Italian Wars stuff.

25 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous work, Ken. The addition of the crew really brings the whole thing to life. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, it will go a bit Canadian next week 👍

      Delete
  2. Fantastic work Ken. I wish I had "failed Italian Wars" projects that looked this sharp, and made this sort of progress. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the willpower to resist the ships but I don't 👍

      Delete
  3. Stunning! What level of detail in that brushwork

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely amazing work, Ken! That crew may have been a chore, but they certainly enhance the model! I like the splash markers you used in the photos and the bases you paint for them really set scene for these ships very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers David, I've got some more ideas I'm going to explore when the Challenge is over to make the games look even better 😀

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous looking destroyer, the weathering and crew help bring it to life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic looking destroyer, love the weathering!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb again Ken, I really like that second picture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, these are so easy to photo, sea mat and a nice sky backdrop and boom 💥

      Delete
  8. Another very fine vessel, the crew really brings it (even more) alive! I can’t wait to see Prinz Eugen and/ or Ark Royal though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another lovely ship! Great work.

    ReplyDelete