Monday 20 March 2023

From Curt: The Final Post of Challenge XIII - Méliès' 'A Trip to the Moon' (22 Points)

Well after 800 or so posts here we are at the end of Challenge XIII, and what a wonderful time it's been. This is the first year that I largely stepped back from taking part in the posting and scoring and I have to say that it allowed me to enjoy the event all the more. Of course, this meant that I had to rely on a full roster of helpers and, as I knew, I was not disappointed. So my cap is in hand when I say thank you to Peter, Tamsin, Miles, Teemu, Phil, Stuart and Martin. You folks were absolutely brilliant in maintaining your individual crews, while also promoting the Challenge's open and welcoming character. Also, a big thank you to Millsy for keeping track of the Duels, Barks for his ever-entertaining 'Skull Challenge', and to Miles for making sure the Spreadsheet of Doom did not blow apart into its constituent 1s and 0s. 

Arigato, Kiitos and Cheers to you all.

As is customary, I close out the Challenge with our final entry. I usually try to stretch out a bit and do something ambitious, but I have to admit that my spirit was just not there for it. This past week, Oscar, one of our two beloved dog companions, passed away, leaving Sarah, Felix and I completely heartbroken, dearly missing him, and his place in our lives. Nonetheless, I know spring is in the air, and time will heal - just not for awhile.

So, with this recent loss weighing heavy on my heart, I wanted to do something that was simple, but also still captured the spirit of our 'AHPC Studios' theme. 

As a little backstory, Sarah and I were fortunate enough to visit Lyon, France this past autumn, and as a part of our wanderings, we visited the Lumiere Museum, which showcases the art, craft and process of early film making and photography. Highly recommended.

One of the films referenced in the museum was George Méliès' 1902 adventure, 'A Trip to the Moon' - the first sci-fi film ever created. 


I loved 'A Trip to the Moon' as a kid as it seemed so whimsical and weird. As it was inspired by Jules Verne's 'From the Earth to the Moon', Méliès' work was the start of my love of pulp science fiction which moved on to 'War of the Worlds' and 'John Carter of Mars' and of course, 'Star Wars'. 

Anyway, on Cults3D I found this wonderful 3d design by Printorama3d of the iconic image of the Moon's face with the space bullet in its eye. I thought it would be a great excuse for me to drag out my monochrome paints to try to give it a greyscale treatment.

As with my old 'Great War in Greyscale' project, I tried to incorporate both warm and cool grey tones to differentiate the face, the surrounding moon, and the crashed spacecraft. Thankfully, I keep an old Moleskin notebook that has all my paint recipes in it, so I could reacquaint myself with how I did these things in the past. I'd be totally lost without it. 

Even though it's a small and relatively straightforward piece, I found it nice and comforting to return to this style of painting after all these years. Again, it's a modest piece, but I hope you like it.

I'll claim 22 points for this. Two for the model, and 20 for the Black & White Studio.  

________________________________________________________


I want to thank all our participants for their fevered industry and good natured humour. The Challenge is characterized not by me or the minions, but by all of you who participate in it. So again, thank you for the wonderful experience. I can't think of no better way to spend the winter months.

In a week or so I'll post a poll for 'Challenger's Choice', and a little after that we'll have an awards wrap up which will include the Challenger's Choice selection, the Minions' Choice, my SnowLord's Choice and Sarah's Choice. Stay tuned for those announcements.

In the meantime, if you will indulge me, I ask that everyone submit a post featuring a picture of themselves along with their Challenge efforts this season.

Thanks again, and I hope to see you all next winter for Challenge XIV!

- Curt


27 comments:

  1. A superbly cinematic finish to a great challenge. Thank you again for running this event, which is a highlight of my hobby year. Very sorry to hear about Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fab way to end the show Curt, thank you. Sorry to hear about Oscar, Dogs bring so much joy and happiness to people's lives for such a short time, remember the good times and he'll always be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry to hear about Oscar. The moon is brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about Oscar. A lovely post to finish with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tough breaks on Oscar , thoughts with you. Good to hear you have enjoyed being a bit more of a participant too. A suitably quirky last entry for you . Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about Oscar Curt, best wishes to you and Sarah. Lovely moon, can't believe what you've done with the greys, so clever

    ReplyDelete
  7. An appropriately superb piece to close the Challenge with, Curt. :)

    I was very sorry to hear about Oscar passing on. *hugs* to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the post and painting! Thanks for running the challenge again and it has got me through another winter.
    Cheers All JezT

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about Oscar, a loss like that is always hard to bear but that’s a wonderful and apposite piece to close out another wonderful challenge and thanks again for your sterling work in setting it all up

    ReplyDelete
  10. great work, I really like the rendition of the famous art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for your loss. Great work on the moon and thanks again for hosting this anual maddness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome final post, thanks once again for running this wonderful event 😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear of your loss my friend.
    Fine work on this piece, as always...and fine work through the Challenge.

    Congratulations to all for another fine event.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear about your loss. But a wonderful final post and piece to showcase here with all going on still. Thank you once more for setting up this challenge, and encouraging so many of us to join together over 800 or so posts. Wishing you and all those here the best for the year and looking forward to the next one already ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That crazy moon looks superb, Curt. I am so sorry to hear about Oscar, he and Felix were so inseparable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice work, Curt! Very appropriate piece for greyscale and finely done with hue and texture via paint. Sorry to hear about Oscar. The most comforting tale I know is the one where you are guided in the afterlife by your favorite pet. Oscar will be waiting for you there. I fear I will be mobbed by a pack of overzealous pups when I get to the Happy Hunting Grounds!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh mate I am so sorry to hear about Oscar. They are such a big part of our lives and they leave a much bigger hole than people without dogs can understand. All three of you have my sympathy!

    That's a cracking piece to finish with. I can almost smell the cheese from here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I’m very sorry hear about Oscar. Losing a companion is always very hard, As you say, time will do its part, but you will have to have patience.
    The moon is absolutely brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry to hear about Oscar mate - I lost a furry buddy to a snake last year and its heartbreaking.

    A great piece top finish with - love that classic bit of movie history - and thanks for another wonderful Season of AHPC!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A fitting final post for this Challenge, Curt! I wish you all the best in the time of sorrow, I hope time heals.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry to hear about Oscar. We have never had pets but recently my daughter left home and has adopted two abandoned puppies. They are wonderful and if something happend to them I will really suffer a lot now.

    The moon project is a glorious close to the Challenge. I have enjoyed a lot this year's edition and appreciate your and Sarah's dedication to it. Hoe to see you all in December again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry to hear about Oscar. Your greyscale moon is splendid and a suitable finish to a marvelous challenge!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for all your kind words everyone. I apologize for the somewhat 'wet blanket' post, but it seemed unavoidable. It's been a little subdued around the house, but each day gets a little better and spring is upon us. Again, cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so sorry about Oscar. Our furry friends are such an important part of our lives.

    The moon is an interesting and non-turnipy final entry, and very cinematic. The grayscale is a neat touch.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Curt, I too am sorry for the loss of Oscar, hope you guys will find solace in the fond memories he leaves behind. Your work is gorgeous as always and stylish at that. Thank you again so much for organising this Challenge even though I had to take leave of it early

    ReplyDelete