Monday 20 March 2023

From LeeH - Wrap Up Post: The Battle of Bosworth Project

As always it has been an honor and a privilege to participate in the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. It's a credit to everyone involved that it always seems so effortlessly and flawlessly executed. I have been busy painting almost exclusively for my Wars of the Roses/Bosworth project and although there is still work to be done, I have got a large chunk of it completed. It didn't help that a recent trip to Bosworth itself resulted in several more units being added to my initial order of battle. The wrap-up picture shows all the units that I got painted, with blank bases for those units still yet to be done. 


So I have 38 bases yet to be completed, which will keep me busy for a couple of months...especially now the gentle but relentless peer pressure of the Challenge is over! I can't complain, I have managed to hit my points target by a comfortable margin and turned out 123 bases of figures, so I'm well on my way to completing this project. Here's a closer look at the two armies as they stand at the end of the Challenge. 

The partially completed Yorkist army of Richard III

The completed Lancastrian army of Henry Tudor...
...with the Stanley's lagging behind. 

My revised and updated OOB with the unpainted units in yellow.


A Trio of Earls - Henry Tudor, Jasper Tudor, and
Sir John de Vere, Earl of Oxford

Poynings, Guildford, Talbot & Savage

Medieval Town using 2mm buildings

Henry Tudor's army...the French had yet to be completed

Norfolk, Howard, Talbot, and de la Zouch plus 
artillery & skirmishers

The French and Scottish contingent of Henry's army
under the command of de Chande

I even had time to take a weekend out from painting to 
visit the Battlefield of Bosworth in person. 

Henry Tudor and his mounted household

Richard  III and his Knights

I just wanted to end by congratulating everyone that has taken part in this year's Challenge. I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing the incredible quality of entries as they have been posted. The challenge blog has been something of a second home for me over the last 13 weeks, checking in every day to enjoy the dizzying array of incredible talent on display. Well done to everyone, and I look forward to crossing brushes with you all for Challenge XIV !!

27 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed watching this fantastic project over the past three months and it's great to see everything laid out together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. I've been looking forward to getting them all out at the end of the challenge for the 'family photo'.

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous project, Lee. It was wonderful seeing it come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt. Thanks once again for running such a fun competition.

      Delete
  3. I've loved watching your progress Lee and I always enjoy your enthusiasm. You are an example to wargamers everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Not sure if I'm a good or bad example but I'll take the compliment and run with it 🤣

      Delete
  4. Stunning project. As already said above, has been fascinating (and inspirational) seeing it come together on these pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed throwing myself into it. Now I just need to get the last units painted and I can play with my new toys.

      Delete
  5. What Tamsin said. I have really enjoyed your progress and the history of your troops in your posts. I look forward to seeing your further updates on your blog and on YouTube!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest assured I will continue posting progress on my socials. My latest order from Baccus arrived yesterday, so I will get cracking on the remaining units very soon.

      Delete
  6. I have said it before, but your focus on the project, short historical notes, excellent painting etc has been a joy to follow and minion. May be some day I will start my own War of the Roses project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that the time constraint of the Challenge is over, I'm going to do a video on how I paint these little blighters.

      Delete
  7. I have also enjoyed following the project development over the past three months. You got excellent visual value from those tiny models and bases. Congratulations and lookimng forward to seeing you again in December

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a lot of time thinking about the basing of these figures before the Challenge. So I worked out how I wanted the groundwork to look like and how many figures I wanted on each base. That preplanning paid off in the long run I think.

      Delete
  8. A great project that has been enjoyable to follow - well done Lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic Work Lee! looking forward to seeing a battle report with these guys

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like everyone has already said, I loved following your progress painting all these great 6mm figures. Unlike everyone else though, I'll get a chance to game with them! Woo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking models Lee, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so good all together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my favourite projects Lee. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent focused challenge,well done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great work Lee, as others have noted, it has been fun to watch this project come together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done, Lee. That is one great looking project. Seeing them all together is an amazing sight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome stuff Lee as always!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look fantastic altogether, great job and best of luck filling in the blanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are great miniatures and the painting is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful brushwork on this project, Lee! That is a very splendid force of wee scale troops!

    ReplyDelete