Saturday 30 December 2023

From MartinC Society of Righteous and Harmonious Fists (New Acquistions) (453pts)

Here we go again. Another winter chained to a desk painting toy soldiers for the Snowlord. Now I know how Santa's Elves feel.

I've been prepping madly for the last few weeks and have a bit of a stash to paint. So lets get on with it.

Crusader Miniatures (via Northstar, and one of my favorite manufacturers) have a Boxer Rebellion range and they had a sale on (88 figs for £90). Who could resist. The boxers are The Society of Righteous and Harmonious Fists, and fought to overthrow the Imperial Powers, who had occupied most of China. 

There are loads of them

Riflemen, I kept to simple colours

Another section

And another

Next up some spear and sword armed chaps

All the figures have the boxer character on their backs

And some have the Ying Yang symbol. This figure is actually one of 3 Perry Korean's that I've repurposed

Another one, with a flag, again with the Boxer Chinese character

Erm, another one. Bored yet.

And finally the last group

So this is me, and those of you who know me know that I don't do things normally. I'm about to start a 10mm imagination campaign with 7YW Prussians, Austrians, American AWI, Woodland Indians and Jacobite Scots, set in the Baltic states.

So obviously these aren't going to be Boxers for the rebellion, but another force for my Back of Beyond forces. So they need a leader. I present to you Dr Fu Manchu


Fu Manchu was a arch villain from my youth, created by Sax Rohmer in the 1920s. Usually played by Christopher Lee in the movies. I started to read the books but they are appalling and deeply racist - the Yellow Peril and all that.

Fu Manchu in his palanquin is the Dr Koo figure from Pulp (a cracking figure), with his daughter (Fa Lo Suee) and a diminutive poisoner from the Hasslefree.

I love the dragon on the back of the palanquin and the syringe in the hand of the poisoner

He will lead his forces, and those of a Chinese Warlord (figs to follow later in the challenge) to great victories.

Scores on the doors

80 Boxers = 400
3 flags = 3

For Fu Manchu

4 figures = 20
Palanquin + Fu Manchu = 10

Someting New Bonus = 20

Total = 453


Have a great new year

Martin

_________________________________

Welcome back to the Challenge, Mr. Cooke! I always enjoy seeing what you have in store during the Challenge, as you often complete entire armies during the three months, and today is no different with this stonking entry. 

I suppose what we see here is a tantalising preview of what is to come: A pulp Imagination featuring such characters as Fu Manchu along with his horde of fanatical minions! I love all the varied figures, together providing a riot AND a riot of colour, and all led by a plotting overlord and his deadly daughter. Fabulous.

This will be a fun project to watch unfold. Great work, Martin!

- Curt

30 comments:

  1. Nice! The poisoner from Hasslefree makes a great addition to the Pulp Figures set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta, he's a nice figure, all of theirs are, although too many are naked

      Delete
  2. Nice work Michael. I find Crusader Miniatures very satisfying to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great figures, simple and characterful. Who's this michael chap😅

      Delete
    2. LOL, my head stopped working mid post....

      Delete
  3. Nicely done Martin - love all the colors

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pretty sure you will be able to roll lots of 1’s with these ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered where the first points bomb 💣 would come from, no surprise it's our Martin !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta, we do try, need better lighting, camera or both

      Delete
  6. Great work on those mate

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice, colourful looking bunch. Nice work Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful entry. Colorful and varied!! Happy new year 2024

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work Martin. I love to see what squirrels runs through your brain. I am another Crusader fan, I’ve got some started now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squirrels rock. Good luck with the crusaders

      Delete
  10. Excellent looking boxers and Fu Manchu!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great group in all respects, Martin! Your Fu Manchu might have been a wee bit taller to represent the sorely missed Christopher Lee, but he is the true archvillain isn’t he? A very nice vignette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think if everyone he played was as tall as Christopher Lee, the average height of the planet would increase

      Delete
  12. Excellent bomb Martin. Will be fun to watch the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great way to start the comp, the figures look great love the vignette

    ReplyDelete
  14. Impressive collection. These will make for a great game.

    ReplyDelete