Saturday 30 December 2023

From MilesR: 28mm Byzantines for Barrons War and a History Library Submission (510 Points)

 

Wow, I've painted more 28mm figures during the first week of this challenge than I've done in the past 2 years.  For your consideration is a small Byzantion force intended to be used with the Barron's War ruleset (which is the new "hotness" at my club).  I'll also be submitting these as my "historical" library challenge.


These are all 28mm plastic from Fireforge Miniatures and I highly recommend them.


To be honest, I am a little nervous submitting these giving the superb Byzantines presented by both GregB and DarrelH.  I can never approximate their skill level.


First up are 12 Koursores or thematic heavy cavalry, 6 with lances and 6 with swords
Maybe not quite the armored might of a cataphract but they can still hit hard and are a bit more manueverable.
I used Army painter speed paints 2.0 on all my Byzantine figures and have really liked them.

Speaking of Cataphracts, here are 12 of the armored monsters, 6 with lances and 6 with maces.
Not the most nimble of troops but wow do they pack a punch





Some skirmishers and light archers 

Lastly - some heavy infantry (25) and armored Archers (10)
WHile Cataphracts are the showboats, the heart of any Byzantine army is their heavy infantry and archers.
You will see a few more Byzantines added to the mix before this challenge is over.

As for points:
  50 Infantry = 250 points
  24 Cavalry = 240 points
  plus 20 for the Library Challenge

that totals 510 points, so not to bad a haul.

OK, I think that's all for today - it appears my painting partner Gus has some business to take care of outside so I've got to go.  Happy New Year Everyone!















_____________________________

Thus it begins, right after the Paint Bomb (TM) of the ever-industrious Martin, we have Miles The Machine opening up the throttle on his Paint Engine!

Amazing work Mr. Miles. A full cross-section of Byzantine military power in all it's armoured glory. 510 points worth all at once. Bam! Wowzers that's very impressive. I look forward to seeing more of this project fly off your hobby desk, Mr. R.

Also, give Gus a good skritch for me - he's such a good boy.

- Curt


19 comments:

  1. Great opening salvo. Assembled, painted and ready for the battlefield. Nothing to nervous about with this force. Gus appears to be looking out for you & making sure you get your steps in too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Miles, onwards and upwards

    ReplyDelete
  3. An impressive paint bomb, Miles. You msy feel that the cavalry don't meet the standards set by Greg and Darrel, but they still look suitably imposing and I'm sure your opponents will be equally impressed right up until they are trampled underhoof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff Miles, a nice addition to the collection

    ReplyDelete
  5. Astonishing how much quality work you can produce so quickly. I’m in awe! Seems speed paints really do live up to their name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another of your bomb entries, and with such high quality painting of yours. Have a great 2024!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those Byzantines look the Byz-Ness Miles. I expect to hear of their epic fails on table. Say hi to Gus for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking byzantine paint bomb! Gus looks fun!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely Byzantines Miles. A very Happy New Year to you and yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! How many points are you claiming for the furry one?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice! How many points are you claiming for the furry one?

    ReplyDelete
  13. How on earth you do it I honestly don’t know. A single post totalling more than my entire target before the year is even out! And I guess there will be more to come. Moreover, they are Byzantines which immediately draws me in your fan club. Well done Miles, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great bomb Miles. Love Gus the painting partner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it great bomb of figures, wouldn't expect anything less keep them coming Miles

    ReplyDelete