Thursday 4 January 2024

From MartijnN: Barbarians within the Gates (91 points)

I think I first heard of the Battle of Waterloo when I was given a box of Airfix 1/32 scale Waterloo British Infantry at the age of 7. I think I still have them somewhere. This sparked a keen and lifelong interest in the final battle of the Napoleonic Wars. As a teenager, I wanted to learn as much as I could about it, and so I of course turned to the Public Library. Now in the early Eighties books on military history were not very popular in the Netherlands, and books in Dutch were rare (except on World War II, of course). However, our library did have a Dutch translation of David Howarth’s Waterloo: A Day of Battle. I must have read it a dozen times at least.

It is a gripping, very well written account of the battle, and I still find it one of the best books on it. History as it should be told. It is not a very well researched book that gives new insights or presents new facts, but it is a good account of the battle and I have found it a very inspiring read. So this is my recommendation for this week.

However, as it was originally published in 1968 it presents a very traditional and outdated view, focusing on the British and their part in the battle, dishing up all the stories about those bloody foreign so-called Allies who ran away before a shot had been fired. I think we may have moved on from that now. I am a “Dutch-Belgian”  and one of my forebears fought at Waterloo, so I think we might need a counterweight. So, by all means read Waterloo: A Day Of Battle, but also read Wellington’s Hidden Heroes. The Dutch and the Belgians by Victoria Baker-Smith!

For the occasion, I have painted up some 6mm Baccus French Napoleonic infantry. They are based for Blücher and represent two brigades in the game.


And what about those barbarians in the title, I hear you ask? No, those are not the French infantry. Those are these three 3D prints. 


I think they are Iain Lovecraft sculpts. They are prisoners, as can be seen from the shackles they are wearing, and I think they are meant to perform in the gladiatorial games. Well within the gates, I should say. I was experimenting with several methods of painting them, and I did have some problems getting the skin tone right, but I am reasonably happy with them in the end.

So, we have 112 6mm intantry and 3 25mm foot for 71 points. I think they also fit the historical section of the Challenge Library so I claim 20 points for that, and of course the 6mm are also for the Little Guys Duel.

112 6mm foot @ 0.5 = 56

3 28mm foot @ 5 = 15

History Section @ 20

Total 91 points

From TeemuL: Martijn and the book recommendation of the week, thank you! That's two nice brigades in 6mm, but I think you might couple of more of them for Waterloo? Those barbarians/prisoners/gladiators look good, too. It is a good idea not to paint them all in the exact same skin tone, looks more natural.

And by the way, please add the labels. And perhaps a map, too? :)

19 comments:

  1. Vive l'Empereur!!! Really nice 6mm French. I'm focusing on some 6mm British and Allies to combat just such blue menaces. I can also highly recommend the 2 volume book by John Hussey. He covers the whole campaign, but has done some brilliant research covering all sides in the conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely little Nappys Martijn. Also great looking escaped slaves, really like the skin tones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice tiny fellas and the varied skintones work really well

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think those are my labels, Teemu 😉. Map will come next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work Martijn! Those two French brigades look the business. 'Blucher' is a great set of rules. Several years ago we played the Waterloo campaign using double-blind home mods. It was great fun and a real nail-biter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent Martin on both sets. I’m going to take reading suggestions to heart and look into both books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. excellent entry Martin, I don't know how you can paint those 6mm I wouldn't even be able to see them, really nice work on both sets of figures

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the massed look of the 6mm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tiny French look nice, and I like the variety you've achieved with the barbarians.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice work on the skin tones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very lovely work in both scales!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely skin tones on the Barbarians and the light 6mm bases bring them to life, well done indeed

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely work Martijn, love those bases.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never mind the Brits, you're off to a great start, looking forward to seeing these shape up

    ReplyDelete