Tuesday 2 January 2024

From MartijnN: The Tuesday Tomes, Volume 1

First of all, I would like to wish each and everyone of you all the best for 2024! Now the new year is finally truly underway, I hope you have all survived the festive season and are ready to rumble through Challenge XIV.

I am Martijn, and this is my fourth Challenge. I live in Belgium, but I am a Dutchman by birth and inclination. One of the traditions we have in The Netherlands is to eat oliebollen on New Year's Eve. They are balls of sweet dough and raisins, deep fried, eaten with powdered sugar. This is not a tradition in Belgium, but I have continued to bake oliebollen each year, and I am happy to say that my Belgian family has been taking to them quite enthusiastically. Here are some; I only wished mine looked as good!



I will be your Tuesday Minion for most of the rest of the Challenge. As the new Junior Assistant Librarian, confusedly circulating the corridors, cellars, crofts and chambers of the Challenge Library, it will be my duty to adorn the book display in the Library Entrance with the tempting and marvelous contributions produced by the Tuesday Troopers. 

I am not an early riser, and a bit of a slow starter, and it seems like the Tuesday Troopers are of the same ilk. However, for today we may have some masterpieces lined up:

- a tribute to Tolkien from SimonM, just in time for the Professor's birthday tomorrow

Well, that's it really, for the time being. We may have some Cold War Gone Hot from DaveD as well, and we will see what the rest of the day may bring. Enjoy!

17 comments:

  1. That looks incredibly tasty, Martijn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a good day Martijn. Enjoy your treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw picture of cakes and thought it was an entry. Will be putting on a post later for you to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Martijyn As a Brit living in Wisconsin I still pursue the home traditions, Thanksgiving Dinner here gets Yorkshire Puddings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FYI I shot my bolt of ready painted minis on the weekend, so nothing from me this weekend. I should have something for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you have a good day of Minioning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I need a recipe for oliebollen....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those oliebollen look absolutely fabulous, Martijn - a wonderful tradition. They remind me of the beignets (and dark coffee) I would indulge in when I worked in New Orleans during my salad years. Yes, I think we need the recipe. Enjoy, and have a great day of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deep fried dough with raisins. How can that not be delicious?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look fabulous Martin. I can understand why you continue the tradition. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zalig nieuwjaar ouwe oliebol! ;-)

    ReplyDelete