Tuesday 20 February 2024

From ThomasG: Ironjawz with Fancy Masks - 30pts

Finally the string of birthdays and school holidays is at an end! I can finally get back to some hobby time for me, and I've started with a set of models I received for my birthday. These guys are Orruk Weirdbrute Wrekkaz, and continue in the theme of very large models, even within the range. I've stuck to my army theme of dark reddish skin tones and beaten metal surfaces, however these guys got an orange detail on the trousers, for no other reason than I had a few new orange paints to test out.



     

     The three figures are all armed with wrecking ball/morning star style weapons, looking truly vicious, I was inspired to give them that extra detail, and added a blood effect to the heads of each weapon, as well as the hands and some of the chains. 



     I added a spot colour of blue/grey to add some contrast to all the warm tones across the models, and feel it definitely helped. It is hard as these models have very few materials to work with, and sticking to a limited palette can make them seem lifeless. But the punch of cold blue, and a muted brown base with added slime appears to go a long way. 

     Although it was hard to add much in the way of texture, I tried some simple rust effects to the weapon chains so they were still seperate from the armour panels. The blood effect (seen more clearly below) is something I usually avoid, mostly as it can feel a bit tacky, but being a bit more chaotic with the application gave that savage look I wanted. 

   Yuk!

     And here we are, at the end of a brief run through these guys. Brutal, savage and bringing my growing army up to 6 models. There's 15 more infantry to come, and then one ginormous character and boar to add to his force and it will be done for now. 
     I had a chat with Martijn as to how to score these guys as they're almost twice the size of a 28mm figure, and we agreed to treat them as the equivalent of a cavalry sized figure, to which he very kindly allowed me to score them at 10pts each. 

Points:
3 x "Oversized 28mm" = 30pts
Total = 30pts

     Hopefully I'll be able to get more work done soon as the fundamental painting of these guys is incredibly easy, but in that lies the trouble of not wanting to fight the grind. But, hey, that's why this is a challenge! 

Tom

Wow, Tom, what fantastic figures and what absolutely fabulous brushwork! You have really brought these Ironjawz to life with your painting, and the use of colours, shades and highlights and the attention to detail is astounding. I think your experiment with the orange went very well, and the flesh and the metals are very convincing. An excellent job on these brutes and 30 well-deserved points for you!

24 comments:

  1. Incredible brushwork Tom, these fellows are terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were great fun to paint which definitely helped 😀 thank you.

      Delete
  2. Awesome painting and the blue really helps!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. The additional colors really compliments the dark dirty look of the rest of the models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tom, I'm relieved it is working as planned!

      Delete
  4. Truly menacing and I love the dark colour palette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! The dark colours are such fun to play with as I tend to stick to far brighter palettes 🤣

      Delete
  5. Fabulous brushwork Tom! I like your take on the skintone and the ironmongery is suitably grim and gory. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt, it is fun to let the fantastical nature of the figures lead the plan.

      Delete
  6. The skintone makes them quite interesting. I, too, usually try to avoid blood as it can be overdone, but you've done a great job here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm really pleased it doesn't come off as "too much" and it was genuinely fun to do.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic skin tones, nice job

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful brutes. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work. I like that you haven't gone for traditional green skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, it is a nice break as my other orks have the standard green skin.

      Delete
  10. Great work Thomas, the muted tones really bring out the brute in those

    ReplyDelete