Saturday 16 March 2024

From Scott R Last Post (450 Points)

Hello all,

Well its been a very limited productivity period this year thanks to work.  My work makes me travel a fair bit so having time to get some painting done has been challenging this time around. In fact I am writing this in California instead of Canada.  I took all the photos as I went and i keep them in an article drive just for the article writing part.  

 In order to make the most of what time I did have, I aimed to get some smaller projects finished and make a start on some of the new ones I want to get up and running.  My friend DennisC aka 'Matt Varnish' on Youtube for our Games, always says 'paint just one"  and this is usually the driver to go, oh yeah that looks good and now I want to paint more.

So I did manage to finish off the 3 x 8 man units of Light Infantry, a small 6 man unit of the 60th rifles for Sharp practice along with some of the hero or commander figures I was missing.  I didn't get the chance to do my Spanish Guerillas but at least my commander is done.  The British are Warlord and the Spaniard is from Bad Squido Games or Colonel Bill's in the UK.  There female line of which you have seen many of my girls from the past mixed in.

Before I could get into the painting there was the prep.  I had pulled out and cleaned up about 60 figures in total plus 8 Light dragoons.  This was the standard remove the flash, undercoat black and white glue to strips ready for painting.  I had to go back and re-glue onto the wooden bases specific for sharp.  they were originally white glued to 40 x 40s ready for Black Powder.  But figured it didn't work for Sharp.  However, doing it the other way could still work for both.



To get things started I did a few of the British Officers including one in rifles dress and my female Spanish Guerilla leader.   The British Officers and Light Infantry are based on the 68th Durham Light Infantry.


Here are the command figures.  Here we have the rifles officer with his whistle and the British senior Commander. 

Rifles officer and British Commander

Next up, One of the Light Infantry Officers and the Guerilla Leader.

The Group.


Next up are the 6 figures from the 60th (Royal American) Regiment. These will be one of the two skirmish units for Sharp.






The 3 units of 8 figures for Sharp was the remainder of the 68th.  I have painted the standards and musicians as well that can be put in to the skirmish bases to make up a 24 man unit for use in Black Powder if I want to use them in there as well.




Unfortunately, I forgot to take Pics of my standards and drummers before I left.

Ok next up and from my last post i mentioned I was doing 40K.  So i managed to get a few more bits done.  I finished off a small unit of Blade Guard Veterans for my Salamander successor chapter the Basilisks.  These guys are actually 3D prints.  I was pretty happy with the quality and the detail..

I did finish off my Eldar but these were done outside the challenge.  So I made a fair dent against the Basilisks.  I finished off the dreadnought but not the base.  I did get the Land Raider finished as well.  Again another 3D print and its massive.  

It was in multiple parts and was joined together using a slicer program.  I then printed it as one piece with the weapon options, doors etc printed separately.  So here it is assembled and primed with its extras also primed in wraithbone. 

 I wanted to use citadel contrast colours so there was a match with the figures.  I did this through an airbrush because of the large surface areas.  You can see I have taped the model so i could get cross colour pattern.



Here is the first base colours laid down with the airbrush.  Some of the base black panels have been done along with the weapons casings.










Here is the finished Raider.  I missed the pics for the interim step.  But the dragon or lizard scales were done with Citadel contrast to match the marines.
Also, here is the Dreadnought, although the model itself is done the base isnt finished.  So not sure if I can claim points for it......



As i mentioned I also managed the Blade Guard veterans.  3 figures.  My Army theme since they a fire based faction have all been mounted on cork terrain and then painted to look like lava.  My first attempt the whole lava look, it was an interesting challenge.  I have added my Captain and LT as well but only  as a photo no points as these were done before the challenge.  



Here are the rest of my Basilisk Marines ready for the bases to be done to finish them off.  My travels dashed my plans to have these done for the challenge.  I did get a fair bit of it done which is good though.  Had I space in my suitcase then I would be doing these in my hotel room! 

Here are the Captain and LT.  I wanted to just show my first attempt at doing lava and heat swords.  Again not finished for the challenge.



My last project was to make a start on my Zulu Army for Black Powder and if the basing works then also for Sharp practice.  I have about 100 figures from Casting Room Miniatures I picked up a couple of years ago at 'Colours' in the UK.  So i painted up two units of twenty figures.  One Regiment of Unmonambi and one Ulthawana.

As always this starts with the clean up.   The shields and weapons are separate pieces and needed to be cleaned and attached.  I then did something completely new for me.  I attached to their bases before undercoating.  I also attached some resin rocks before doing the basing as well.
The clean up and base attachment.

Layout of the two Regiments.  I also added some British casualties here as well.
I did two tests.  I painted up one each of the skirmish bases for each Regiment to get my colour pallet sorted. 


Once the pallet was done then i could get on and paint the rest of the units.  So two units of 20 plus 2 skirmishes for one and 4 skirmishes for the other.  Then another 3 casualties, two being Royal Marines or sailors and the other a 24th Regiment to match my friends British.

here are the finshed Regiments.  They are based 5 figures to a 60 x 60 base with 4 bases to make up the unit.  Each has its own skirmishes.

Unmonambi 






Ulthawana







Ok well thats it for 2024.  I wish i could have done more and i had the figures ready to go.  Just not having the time at home interrupted my plans.

So for this post:

28mm British Naps 33 figures at 5 points ea             = 165 points
skirmish bases 3 bases fully done to match                = 5 points
40K vehicle @ 20 Points                                            = 20 points
40K 28mm figures by 3 @ 5 points                           = 15 points

28mm Zulus 49 figures @ 5 points                             = 245 points

Total                                                                            = 450 points

_______________________________________

Great work Scott! I know how work can mess with the important things in life, but I think you've done an amazing job with the constraints that you were under. Fabulous mix of minis here. From your Napoleonics to 40K, and finally to your Zulu War project, this is a feast for the eyes. I'm especially taken by that 3d printed Land Raider - what a beast, and great detail to boot. Well done.  

Thank you for participating in this year's Challenge and I hope we see you out with us for the next edition!

- Curt

6 comments:

  1. Great variety- I particularly like the Zulus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work on the heat sword and especially the lava sword. Like Barks, I love the variety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see so many different projects being completed - and 450 points in one post is impressive productivity while holding down a job too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work. Really enjoy the zulus.

    ReplyDelete