Tuesday 23 December 2014

From DavidB - 'Bow' 28mm Superhero (5 Points)



For my 2nd submission to the Challenge, I'll present my first Super of the year. His name is Bow and he is my go to stealth, combat, sniper for my super team. he name may be a bit bland, but Hawkeye, Green Arrow, and other monikers were already taken while Shaft seemed to be a little.....



He is a Crossover miniatures Super and is of white metal. Crossover has a wonderful selection of figures and uses separate heads to increase customization and personalizing of your heroes. They have a growing lines of slick looking minions that will be presented shortly in this challenge. For the curious, the heads are special ordered if of minion variety, but bosses and heroes/villains come with three heads and most are easily attached to any crossover mini and work well with GW and other figures. The women are very nicely done and scaled really well.

I wandered into Super gaming because my kids are still resisting historical and are only into fantasy and scifi for the painting. They like supers and zombies and usually both together. I was lucky enough to participate in two Crossover kickstarters and the majority of my hero collection came from them. It helps that Rusti is a very nice guy and supersystem was readily available for one of his kickstarters with samples made of the new heroes and villains.


Bow was kept muted in color and I resisted making him too shiny. I also plan to use him with my commando team in the zombie gaming. His colors are muted green and brown which were coincidentally the colors I was using on my Cadian armor and packs.


I did give him yellow optics for a touch of heroic flair. Red would have been a better choice but as he is a hero yellow seemed to be a better fit.



The crossover minis are hit or miss in the sculpting quality as Bow does seem a bit too stiff for my tastes. still as a design and poses go, most are pretty blank slates which are intended for creative painting of heroic spandex! looking at the lineup, It would be very easy to whip up a Legion of Superheroes or most any other pulp/comic hero you can find. besides Reaper, my kids really like the Crossover miniatures.


From Curt:Great work David. I really like the green tones you went with for 'Bow'. The bright yellow optics are ace  and so is the detail on his compound bow. I think it's wonderful that you're gaming with your kids. Maybe in a few years they might get the historical bug - either way, enjoy the fun!


24 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and super cool to play with the kids

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ian! We are hoping for a game day and a paint day during the holidays this week. The kid's have some SciFi fire teams they want to paint up!

      Delete
  3. Very nice! And the yellow works very well I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Edwin! I almost went blue, but yellow was the tribe's consensus!

      Delete
  4. Nice work David. How about calling him "Fletch"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but "Fletch Lives"! Bow usually gets taken out by my kid's Supers after his first attacks, hopefully his new dudes will help him last longer!

      Delete
  5. That;s a nice bow super. Yellow was a good pop colour choice I think. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He came together pretty well for using excess color from the pallet! I'm getting more partial to the yellow too as it is easy to imagine the glow from the shadows, very comic bookish!

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Curt!
    Not only has Bow lost his Tin Boy status, but he has also gotten my kids ready to paint again. My oldest was checking out some of my Napoleonic tomes, she thinks the uniforms are great and was asking about Polish Lancers! Maybe I'll get a very local historical wargaming opponent soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If he had a crossbow I would suggest "Quarrel" as a name but "Bodkin" sounds a bit comedy to me. Great figure though and vary well painted. I'd be interested in seeing more of this team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clint! Crossover does have a kid sidekick model, I think 'Bodkin' would suit him well! ;)

      Delete
  8. Nice work and an interesting line of minis I had not heard of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sean! Crossover is a nice niche company in a niche market. The minion line is really nice.

      Delete
  9. Nice one! The yellow googles really stand out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Moiterei! I just wish the photos picked out more of the gray and blue in the black! But muted colors was my goal!

      Delete
  10. Nicely done, and I'm liking your choice of colours.

    My local wargaming manufacturer also stocks Crossover Miniatures, but they're a range that I've no experience with as of yet. I might make a few purchases next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stuff David. I too think the "Crossover Miniatures" are extremely hit and miss in quality. but you've really brought this one to life with an excellent painting job. Very nice indeed :-)

    ReplyDelete