Wednesday 18 February 2015

From IanW - Something Nasty in the Woodshed (7 points)

I have had this figure finished for a few a month now but wanted to keep it under wraps until after introducing it to my roleplaying group. That's been put off due to my wife's injury but finally she was game fit  ;-)


This fellow is from Darksword Miniatures and whilst I did not have any use for him when I saw him I knew I really wanted to find one. The model came in about four parts and went together fairly well with minimum fuss or flash. It's on a display base as it's up for grabs between the players after it's been used as it's a one off monster and won't get used again. If none of them want it then it would be sold on e-bay to pay for more monsters etc.


It's got great detail and the confrontation happens in the woods so I wanted to set the scene by adding the trunk and some undergrowth. As far as painting went it was easy to work on though it's a bit heavier than I am used to as it's a fairly big figure.


They are classed as 28mm figures though I find them somewhat larger so I guess Heroic scale, still the quality of the figures makes Darksword my preferred supplier even though they are quite expensive outside GW


The figure is called Nightmare Beast SKU DSM1228 though I have a slightly different approach in my campaign. The adventurers have now met the beast but have yet to have that final deadly confrontation. This beast will give me 5 more points and the gang kittens.

I leave you with a Foundry Cowboy for scale comparison.


From Curt:

Oh, what a wonderfully horrific beastie Ian!  He's kind of lupine, like a werewolf, eh? Very cool. I find werewolves particularly creepy, probably because I saw close-up several timber wolves when growing up on the farm and have always been impressed by their power and intelligence. I quite like the custom base you've made for him. I think it does a great job in setting the tone for his upcoming meeting with the players. Poor buggers...

Great job!

22 comments:

  1. I know that beastie! It's a direct lift from Jacques Tourneur's 1957 film 'Night of the Demon'! Scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid...

    You've certainly given it a new lease of life, what with the quality basing and the excellent paint job! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go book an appointment with my psychiatrist...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that movie! And yes, it scared the crap out of me as well.

      Now I have to see if I can find it on YouTube...

      Delete
    2. Only you would remember that Ev. I look forward to delivering another trouncing in our upcoming trivia endeavours with that kind of backup!

      Delete
    3. Thank's, my paint job is a lot darker than the model on the Darksword website

      Ian

      Delete
  2. Fantastic work Ian - well worth the wait :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, it was a blast working on it and painted up quite quickly

      Ian

      Delete
  3. That's one nice beastie. There is nothing about it or the base I do not like. And to give it to a player is a nice touch as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, we as a group each throw a £1 in a session so I can get figures etc. though in the last two years I have yet to claw back what I have spent LOL

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Nice work I like this guy a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a very intimidating wolf beast! Nice basing and paint, Ian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, it did have an effect on the players when I brought it out, mind you they had had an evening of chasing shadows so were already on edge :-)

      Ian

      Delete
  6. Now that's some truly terrific painting here! Excellent basing as well. On the third pic it looks like a mischievous grin on his face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he is having fun with the players so maybe your right

      Ian

      Delete
  7. Cool figure, and a great paint job. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really nice. Great work. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, will get at least one more session out of him before he goes.

      Ian

      Delete
  9. That's a cracker of a paint job sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, it was made easier with the quality of the casting and sculpting

      Ian

      Delete
  10. Very cool figure. Perhaps another I need to press into Oldhammer service.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is a bit of a beast, has a very nice forked tail as well

    Ian

    ReplyDelete