|"Soldiers" flanked by archers|
Looking at what I had ready to go and what would be good to get painted up I decided that the Mongol cavalry would be too much work and I didn't fancy painting up more 6mm Union infantry. I knew that in the prepped pile I had a bunch of Korean infantry and realised they'd be something I could paint up in time.
So, in between putting the finishing touches to the 30YW regiment, I glued the figures onto their bases and added medium ballast for basing texture. Why did I do them that way? For the simple reason that that is how I've done the rest of the army, even though it does make them more fiddly to paint.
They were then primed white by airbrush. I found this provided a much better surface then brushing it on by hand.
During the Choson era, there were several reforms of the Korean military. Under the Koryo dynasty, there existed a number of special units - the To Bang and Tae Gak guards and the private armies of various lords. These were outlawed between 1457-1464 and replaced with a smaller elite infantry force of "soldiers" who fought with spears, polearms and tridents as well as bows and long swords. In FoG:AM they are classed as Superior Drilled Protected Medium Foot, Bow*, Light Spear/Sword and you can take up to 16 bases of them, so that is what I have painted up.
Each base has either 2 archers and 1 "spearman" or 1 archer and 2 "spearmen".
I also had some regular archers in the prepped pile. These were sent out in error - I'd actually ordered levy archers but decided to keep them. There was a reason for that - two of my painted regiments only had crossbow or firearm supporting rank options, but in FoG:R they only have the option of firearms or bows. the two regiments lacking bows were the Orange and Yellow, so I painted them up for those two.
In reality, the hat plumes should all be red. I used different colours to allow easy identification of units on the tabletop as they may be of different quality levels.
The figures are all Old Glory 15s.
Totting Up Time:
72 15mm foot figures @ 2 points = 144 points
That completes my entries for this week and leaves me within spitting distance of my revised target of 2500 points.
Other than my Curtgeld figure, I haven't decided yet what to paint up over the remainder of the Challenge. There may be some more spaceships if I have time, but I'm now torn between doing the Mongol cavalry, finishing the ACW Union infantry or putting together and painting some more WotR stuff. I guess you'll just have to wait and see.