Sunday 21 February 2016

From DaveD - Sudan - The Mahdi! (20 Points)


Its been a reasonably productive few weeks - with lots on the mostly done pile. These have finally been nudged over the line - so apologies to the Big Snowball, the SnowLord himself for stacking them up today.. but hey I will bank the 450 points for the week.

With all my focus back on the Sudan I thought it was time for the main protagonist to make his appearance so here is the Mahdi himself.

Well I say "The" Mahdi... But this is the second figure for the collection. Well you always need competing Mahdis don't you? ...well you do in my mad world. I also want some table top options to confuse the Imperial player as well. Always nice to confuse the wargamers helicopter view with a bit of the "fog of war" - is that where the Mahdi really is? Which is the the true Mahdi? Mind it sounds like a good way to start a civil or religious war too.


Stirring up a storm with the Beja
 28mm Perry Miniature with two helpers.


Ok, so 4 weeks to go - lets see what else we have in the tank eh..

That was a excellent Saturday gambit Dave. Five posts, with almost 500 points, and what a wonderful vignette to end it all with. Brilliant stuff.
I really like your idea of having more than one Mahdi to keep players on their toes. I can see this mechanic being used for other periods/scenarios as well - I'm filing that one away for future use, thank you.
Okay, next up will be the announcement of the winners of the L'amour Theme Round so stay tuned for that.

 
 

37 comments:

  1. Smashing work and great idea on more than one enemy to confound players!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... I do like to throw in a bit of confusion

      Delete
  2. Lovely work, having seen the reinforcements your finished armies will be HUGE!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely the chosen one, I'm sure I can see the birth mark and the gap in his teeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh a camel at last. Nice one Dave.
    Very nicely painted and worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the WAy thanks for taking my comments on camels in a light hearted way. (as they were Intended)

      Delete
    2. Oh indeed., I thought this one might please..

      Delete
  5. Very nice Mr D. each army needs an inspiring leader and this one fits the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice Dave, and a great idea for fog of war :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin...always nice to confuse a Wargamer

      Delete
  7. great paintwork on all you done! the Bengal lancers are stunning!
    will you paint Gunga din one day ?? ;-)

    quantity and quality !! how can you feed so many horses ? ;-)

    confusion, confussion ! is it a New Order?;-)
    all the best.

    GillesW " live from the Augias stables !!!"


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the North West Frontier might become an option after this lot , as Perry are going to release a plastic infantry set..

      Glad you like em!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful job on everything you did today Dave. You've still got plenty of steam left at this late date and your skills are first rate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne - just getting into my painting stride after a difficuly Dec/Jan with family stuff - nice to chill out painting

      Delete
  9. I'd hate to be your coffee machine Dave. You must have given the poor thing an absolute thrashing this past week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny the work was done last week..Its mostly been finishing and basing this week...

      Delete
  10. Very nice Mahdi and attendants, Dave! I guess everyone missed that pale camel beneath the white robes!? ;)
    Brilliant paint bomb too and my favorite of the challenge! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed... Special racing camel... Very white!

      Cheers. Glad you enjoyed it

      Delete
  11. Hang on... isn't that Laurence Olivier...?

    "Upon my cheek, the mole; between my teeth, the thpathe..."
    ; )
    Nice one Dave, has the number of figures exceeded the number of actual troops deployed in the Sudan yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed... Dear , dear Sir Larry... Hamming it up as usual

      Delete
  12. Looking great.

    I love how you did the Mahdi and his retune in very light colors. That should really make him stand out amongst his followers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep... I wanted him to really stand out.. And I think he does

      Delete
  13. Very nice figure and well painted as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always two there are...well done Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely job Dave, I just wish you would stop painting Sudan figures, the whole colonial period is starting cast a strong attraction, and the last thing I need is to get drawn into another period

    ReplyDelete