Saturday 5 March 2016

From JasperO - Daimler armoured car (18 points)


Having finished all of one team of British troops, it was obviously time for some variety. Isn't that how disciplined painting is supposed to work? 


I had this Daimler Armoured Car lying about for some time - I really enjoy the variety of British armoured cars, much as I enjoy the variety of German halftracks. I'd base coated it in black some time ago, but when I recently saw an example of pre-shading of black over white, I decided to see if the opposite would work as well. So I airbrushed white on the centers of all inclined panels, top panels, the mudguards etcetera, before lightly airbrushing British Bronze Green all over. Pretty pleased with the result! 


I applied a pin-wash of Nuln Oil and a thinned-down brown wash all over before a dry-brush with grey-green on all panel edges, before painting the tires and applying a royal amount of mud. 



I then completed basing, painted the added stowage, painted the Household Cavalry markings and some chipping with German Camouflage Brown, adding some metal stipples onto the chips later. 


The crew is almost done, but the Saturday deadline was here already...

That is a beautiful little beast Jasper. I always like it when people take the time to add stowage to their vehicles as when you look at the period photos they were veritable gypsy caravans. I particularly like the cordage holding everything in place - nice touch. Your weathering is also excellent and balanced, a little worn and muddy, but not too over the top (my stuff often looks a bit too post-apocalyptic).

The Daimler gives a base of 15 points but I'm going to add a couple more for the stowage. Great work Jasper!

19 comments:

  1. That really is fantastic, my favourite land vehicle of the challenge so far

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking bit of work... Well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great little vehicle Jasper. I too love the variety of British ACs. I'll second Curt's comment on the stowage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, Jasper - excellent job on the colour and inking, and the softness of the base is a great contrast to the flat surfaces of the vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that you had used a cool modulation technique on the panels of the Daimler. this is a good model and an event better paint job. thanks Jasper Idea stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderfully done Jasper! The stowage is very good indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exactly the sort of thing I aspire to as I gradually add to my repertoire I'd weathering and other techniques to make vehicles look more realistic. Excellent work, the stowage is particularly nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. only 18 points? you were robbed! I am a big fan of the basing, But to point one thing out above another seems ceorlish as it is all so well do. Possibly the best thing in the challenge so far. (At least in my opinion)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 points to Clint for using the Anglo Saxon form of churlish!

      Delete
  9. nice paintwork on a strange car to get on holidays;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a bummer of a paint job, Jasper! You're weathering is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done Jasper - this is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ace job on the weathering and stowage! My favorite bit is the mud and grime on the rusting fenders! ;)
    She is not fresh from the factory for sure! ;)

    ReplyDelete