Saturday 5 March 2016

From PhilH - Spanish Patriots through the Ages (25 points)

I've been a busy bee this past few weeks, but not everything is quite ready to post. But having missed three (?) weekly entries I thought I'd finish these off and post them up before my final run-in. 

It's well past time to break up the relentless green of my entries, and what better way than with some jaunty red beret'd infantrymen. Yes, three more Carlist Requete militiamen for the Rebels. I just can't get enough of these berets and stripy blanket rolls!


I've nearly painted my whole my SCW lead pile over the past year. But as reward for the home improvements, I picked up a weighty care package from Empress at the Hammerhead show today. Enough to to keep me going for another year, with some colourful and interesting troops, I hope.


And to mix things up a little, here are a couple of Spaniards filled with patriotic fervour from the previous century. These two from Perry miniatures join my guerilla band in their struggle to hurl the dastardly Napoleon out of Spain.


In fact, they are the last two of this project to be finished, after I submitted Commandante Theresa last time out (see were supposed to be alongside her, but alas weren't quite finished). What's really bonkers, is that these two have languished primed but unloved in the lead pile for more than five years and through five AHPCs. In fact, the first ever photo I posted on my blog was of the rest of the band, which I'd presumably finished quite recent to March 2011. So it's awesome to let them join their compatriots, well in time for the release of Sharpe Practice 2 later this year! 

These are lovely Phil - your smooth paint style is always a treat to see. As you know, I have a soft spot for the Requites as they had one of the best uniforms of the period. I like how you've maintain visual interest by changing the colour/pattern of their blanket rolls. Very nice.

I have to say I'm particularly partial to the pair of Spanish guerrillas. I clearly remember commenting on one of your first blogposts years ago that featured the lead elements of this group. The leader here has a great sense of nobility about him, and the drummer seems quite the stoic, with a pistol in his belt and drumsticks bravely tapping out the attack.

Great work Phil!

27 comments:

  1. Excellent figures Phil! Wow! The SCW figures are my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like them a lot! Very colorful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see paint table lurkers reaching completion , and these are some of your best yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a good feeling! I should do it more often - definitely a many of half-finishing projects. Well, ok, a quarter at best.

      Delete
  4. One man's patriot is another man's goofy-hatted supporter of a long-lost cause...
    ; )
    Terrific work on these great sculpts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite right Evan!

      SCW is such a goldmine for goofy hats.

      Delete
  5. I do like the crisp, bold colours on these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie - I like painting them for that very reason!

      Delete
  6. I never tire of looking at your brushwork Phil. Gorgeously smooth as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael. You should get yourself to old Blighty someday and see them in the flesh ;-)

      Delete
  7. very nice. Very nice indeed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant colours on these, very crisp painting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning! That SCW stuff is outstanding as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind Nick - I'm fortunate to have inspiring painters like yourself to follow.

      I only wish I could knock a dozen of these out a week.

      Delete
  10. As usual, top brush work, and excellent painting style - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice work, Phil! I do like how all your skirmish figures have character unto themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Mr Hicks has been kind enough to make them so characterful.

      Small batches and a lot of patience is also a good help.

      Delete