Sunday 27 January 2019

From JeremyM: Ultramarines Kill Team (47 Points)

Hi All,


Just made the cut by the skin o' my teeth this year. Some illness and family craziness derailed the best of intentions. But anyway here we go.

So Curt and I and a few other buddies in our group have become hooked on Warhammer 40k Kill Team. I've never really been into GW's stuff, but when the skirmish game hit and our friend Stacy brought it out for a game I was hooked. The first team I created was some Astra Militarium. They've been fun, but are pretty wimpy for the narrative games we've been playing...so I decided to try some heavier troops.


I picked up a few on ebay and one of the 40k starter sets and ended up with 9 Ultramarines, plenty for a kill team. I actually waffled a lot on what chapter to paint, but since the set came with decals for these guys, and I have lots of blue paint and box photos to examine I thought let's keep it simple.



My team (or roster at least as I'm pretty sure I'm over 100 points) includes a leader with a power sword; a veteran with a cool flag; a comms guy with auspex; and a 'heavy' with some nifty big fun I can't recall.


The set I got (I think its called strike first) also included three reivers for close combat. They are supposed to be pretty nasty so hoping to try these guys out soon. I rather liked the skull mask helmet they have.







I also had two generic marines left from the set. The bases were all cork board with a few bits I had to try and resemble an urban battlefield. The photos weren't great but I also tried out some realistic water in spots to see how that product worked. Seems okay, but I wonder if a bunch of gloss varnish would accomplish the same effect.







Anyway thanks for reading and happy painting everyone!


____________________________________

First, welcome back to the Challenge Jeremy!

I love the look of the new Primaris Marines and you've done an excellent job on these Sons of Ultramar, my friend. Did you use an airbrush as the blue looks very smooth - a great choice for Guilliman's spotless Glory Boys. I also like the clean and crisp brushwork on the banner - it provides a nice juxtaposition to the great rubble groundwork you did for the bases. 

I look forward to seeing these guys out for our next Kill Team mission - I'm sure they will be suitably punctilious and nasty. 

47 points for you, sir, including a couple more for the excellent banner. Great work Jeremy!

Curt

11 comments: