Wednesday 23 January 2019

From TomM: Never is too long a word for me... (43 Points)

In this entry, I've painted up that lovely ent model from Games Workshop of Treebeard.

Though I went on to remove Merry and Pippin from him, in order to be able to use him if needed as a regular Ent as well in my games.


Old as the Fangorn forest, Treebeard is one of the mythical Shepherds of the Forest, a race slowly dwindling, but when aroused a force to be reckoned with.  As Saruman and Isengard learn when the Ents march one last time.




The model is the old GW metal one, painted using a combination of Strong Tone by Army Painter and drybrushing with a variety of browns and greys.


To accompany him, I also painted up two small forests, based on old christmas cd's.  The pinetrees are from that wonderful period that is happening right now: christmas decorations being liquidated in the various decoration pop-up stores for three times nothing.



I have no idea on how many points to calculate for the entry though, it's the first time I entered scenery in the challenge, and the Ent itself is about the weight and volume of the older, smaller GW dreadnoughts, so I'm afraid I'll have to look at my 'assigned minion' Evan for the points on this one *puppy eyes*.

Bumbararum!

__________________________________________________________________

Who could resist such a heartfelt entreaty? You'd have to be a complete mongrel of a minion not to award the maximum possible points for this submission (heheheheheheh...)!

Treebeard gets 10 points, no argument there. I'll rate the tree bases as 1.5 cubesworth (a cubesworth being the internationally recognised standard measurement for model terrain, as established in last year's Challenge). That's another 30 points there.

I'm even going to give you a 3-point environmental bonus for recycling the Christmas decorations and CDs, though I suspect that some sympathetic magic is in play and my natural Scrooge-like tendencies have been temporarily hamstrung by your late deployment of all that seasonal good cheer...

So that's 43 well-earned points to you, Tom, thanks for playing!

Ev


8 comments:

  1. Great looking Ent and smart trees!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely stuff! I often check the Christmas liquidation sales too. Just like I cull the shipping boxes and packaging for the best cardboard for scratch building structures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. A metal model? I bet that's one heavy sucker on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Treebeard rules! He's barktastic. :) Lovely work Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice treebeard and trees. Great stuff. cheers

    ReplyDelete