Friday 1 March 2019

Adamc: Late Roman Archers and some horror creatures (90 Points)

 The late Roman/Briton army continues to expand with 16 archers.  These are good sculpts but the fact that 16 of the 40 or so figures in this box set (by Gripping Beast) have to be done as archer really limits its utility.
These men are well equipped with swords as well as bows.  I considered putting extra shields on their bases suggesting they could pick them up and fight as infantry but ultimately didn't go that way.
Keeping my paint job simple the same base colour for the whole army with different units designated by different colour trims. Green in the case of these archer.
 Now we pivot to some Bones miniatures that would not be out of place on any horror movie set. The Scare Crow form the Wild West Wizard of Oz set.  I did his base like he's in some sort of fallow field though I suspect he's more likely to show up in Frostgrave as an undead or construct.
 His odd repeating rifle scythe weapon does sort of shout wild west horror but its not too obvious unless you look closely.
Finally the Bestial Vampire form the Bones collection.  I did him with frostgrave in mind.  I wen black with a few dark grey highlights.  I still thought it looked to mono chromatic so picked out the visible bones in red. 
I think this makes him look a bit scarier.  One odd thing is this guy seems to have 4 hands.  The supports of bat wings are "finger bones" and he has a full hand where bat usually only has a its thumb with a claw. Oh well fantasy monsters don't need to follow real world anatomy.  I need to paint one more monster of some sort and I can get a squirrel point.

There are a total of 18 28mm figures here for 90 point.  I've past my goal for the challenge so I shall up my goal to 1000.

__________________________________________________________________

And we're back to Gaul, where the Gauls are galling with Gallic charm. Or is it the archers who're galling with their Gallic fire in Gaul? Anyway . . . FRENCH!

The vampire may have been caught mid-transformation by the sculptor, going from his bat form to his "human" form. Hence both the wings and the hands.

Anyway, 90 points incoming!

6 comments: