Tuesday 31 January 2023

From SanderS: More Heroquest! (175 points)

 Hoi,

If you have followed earlier Challenges you might have noticed that I am a major fan of the old Heroquest game. Both the game and it's expansions itself as the rule engine behind it really are simple and well balanced and very usable for other themed games. I use the rules for 3D gaming in the GI Joe, He-Man and many other universes by creating custom cards using Heroquest statistics etc. 

So when Hasbro decided to re-release the game I was mildly interested where they would take it. Since I already own two old boxed sets and most of the expansions I never was going to buy my own new set and am only interested in some of the new expansions like Mage of the Mirror, but my friend Martijn wanted one painted up for the gaming club so I set to work. The furniture I have finished well before the Challenge started  so that's not part of this post. The miniatures however are a different story; I was loath to start with the painting of them because most of the figures are not very good at all. Shady poses, low on detail and floppy soft plastic are some of their faults. But I wanted to get them done so people could enjoy the game at the club, thus inspired I set to work.

Let's start with the monsters or evil Dungeon Dwellers. The classic Heroquest baddies are the likes of the Skellies, zombies and mummies.




My favorite baddies remain the Orcs and Goblins, for some reason Hasbro has seen fit to include female Orcs and Goblins, a nice touch in itself but why are they in totally unsuited clothing?






The hardest to kill are the Chaos Warriors or Dread Warriors as they are now called. I have painted the four miniatures included up as warriors of each Chaos God respectively. 




The worst figures in the box are the "Abominations" and abominations they are. While Hasbro was able to get the license for the MB part of the game, they were unable to obtain the rights to the parts of the game that were intellectual property of Games Workshop and so were not allowed to use the Fimirs as evil minions. They solved that by creating these fishy types of monster. Why would these creatures live in a Dungeon environment? Martijn always gives me all freedom to paint the stuff up any which way I like so I decided to go for a "Finding Nemo" theme.

 


Next up are the two big monster "End Bosses" the Gargoyle (Blood Thirster anyone?) and the Evil Wizard. I must say I liked painting the Evil Wizard a lot, he might actually be my favourite figure in the box.


Last but not least the Heroes that resemble the players on the board. The wizard and Barbarian are most recognisably Old School HQ and the Dwarf looks the part too. As a nice twist they changed the gender of the Elf to a well armoured female Elven warrior. 


Now if I am not mistaken there are 35 miniatures in this lot and times 5 points that makes 175 points for the leader board.



I seem to remember playing Heroquest a couple of times back in the day, and had seen it had been re-released. It's a shame that Hasbro went with a horrible material for the figures, but you've done a great job bringing them to life.

Tamsin

36 comments:

  1. Bug fan of the original and the Advanced version. As Tamsin says, shame they went with the materials they did for the re-release and the FOMO "kickstarter" style release. Great painting though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right Peter, the old games (I have both) were far better produced. That said, the new box has two major selling points:
      - new players are introduced into what is basically the same game system (with an app for the DM if you want to)
      - the furniture is all in plastic

      Delete
  2. Great job with these figures -- I actually rather like the fish people and the clown fish scheme works really well. My favourites though are the lady Goblins -- at least they have nice pretty dresses to wear not silly chain mail bikinis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are Simon, that would have been more ridiculous. Well Nemo and his dad look fine but colourwise I like Dory best ;-)

      Delete
  3. OOOH! Heroquest! I'm crying... played a lot with my children when they were 8-10 years old. This painting work you've done on the Heroquest models is outstanding. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah my eldest is 11 and we play it a lot!

      Delete
  4. The paintjob looks good, but the models look... wrong? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cracking job on these, Sander! Even the fish people look great, and the heroes came out very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martijn, the Heroes were a joy to paint.

      Delete
  6. I always love seeing your Heroquest work, Sander. I really like the vibrant, punchy colours. I think the Deep Ones are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be more Heroquest and more punchy colours in the future for sure!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful job, Sander! They are all very well done, I like the vibrant colors on them. I agree that Wizard is fantastic, but I really want to see him with the hobgoblins from Garland's Wizard of OZ!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those "abominations" are rather hard to un-see...they seem so...gleefully abominable! Fine brushwork as ever Sander!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A varied collection of figures so well painted - I like the fish fingers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate! Incidentally fish fingers are called fish sticks in Dutch.

      Delete
  10. A great collection of figures Sander!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely painting on these retro heroquest figures, pretty sure I've got some of the old ones in a pile in the loft!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, so e old school figures are on the paintdesk right now...

      Delete
  12. Very cool. Love the gargoyle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the heroes and bosses!

    How many skullz in this batch?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Only 4 I am afraid, that's why I didn't register it 😞

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very fun. Wonderful stuff. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful, the demon/Balrog was always a favourite of mine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great looking minis, Sander. I really like the Gargoyle. Well done.

    ReplyDelete