Sunday 17 March 2019

From ByronM: 15mm Thirty Years War Swedish force (288 Points)

I had plans for doing so much this year, yet due to struggles with getting my head around painting 15mm I just never got into it this year.  Now finally at the end, once I started basing them up and looking at them from tabletop distances, I am actually really happy with them, and realized that my issue was that I was looking at them individually and close up while painting them, expecting 28mm style looks, when really, its all about the bulked up / ranked up look....  I really should have based some up way earlier, and I could have gotten past the mind lock and painted more!!!

Anyway, on with the show....

These figures are a mix of Wargammer LLC (makes of By Fire and Sword), Khurasan, and Blue Moon.  I honestly do not know which are which anymore as they all just went into a pile to be painted.  All of them are very good though, with Blue Moon being the roughest, but at the price they offer for bags of 50 I really can not complain.  The Khurasan and Wargammer LLC figs are both super clean and easy to work with.

I made a choice while working on the Swedish force that a good section of them was going to be King Gustav II Adolf's personal force and therefore they would be in the regular uniforms of blue coats and yellow sashes.  While normally during the 30 year war, no one was in any sort of regular uniform, in theory Gustav's personal / elite guard was.  Probably not in any real numbers and even though they were uniforms they were probably not as regular looking as I have done them, so I expect some would be historians to have issue with the uniformity, but it's my force, so my choice!


I discussed my basing choices last time I posted some 30 years war figures, but I also made a choice to cut some bases with some rounded edges to use for my leaders bases since then.  This is so that I can tell them apart from the normal troops when I use these figures with Pike & Shot, but still use them attached to units in By Fire and Sword.  This can be seen on King Gustav II's base.


I painted a pile of Cavalry to go along with the King, after all, even though he was known to charge in recklessly, but never alone, so three units of cavalry should be enough to support him.


As most of you know by now, I am not a fan of painting horses, but I think these came out well with a few different shades mixed in.


I also needed Musketeers to help out with the force, so painted two units of them as a start.  Many more are to come in the near future but this gave me something more to post at least.


Again, probably way to uniform in colour, but I wanted the Swedish force to look like a force compared to the coming Holy Roman Empire army that I am working on where everyone is wearing something different.


Last up in this post is what started it all for me with the Thirty Years War, pikemen!  Here are 4 more units of pikemen to add to my Swedish force.  Most of them are without armour, but one is an armoured unit.


As you can see, I also took Curt's advice and got some standards to start adding into the units.


Now that I am in the right mind set for painting 15mm, it's almost too late for the challenge.  Sigh...

I will get at least a few more done before the end, but it looks like I will have a lot to carry over to next years challenge. Which unfortunately means that I am likely to miss my points goal for the year.  I ALWAYS go for 1500 to make sure I can meet it, this year I looked at everything I had to paint and decided I could go higher....  bad call.  I would have made 1500, but will miss my 2k target.  Oh well, live and learn, right?

******

For points:

Cav: 30 x 4 points = 120
Infantry: 84 x 2 points = 168
Total: 288

__________________________________________________________________

With the Snowlord calling sauve qui peut, what is a good minion to do but pitch in and stem the tide? And here we have the future foreign regiments (at least the German ones) of the King of France!

The Army of the King of Sweden has always been one that has fascinated me, ever since the heady days of my youth, finding Trevor Dupuy's The Military Life of Gustavus Adolphus: Father of Modern War in the kid's section of my local library. And who can forget the illustrated Great Commanders and their Battles?

I fully sympathize with the pain of switching to 15mm. I tried painting a DBA army pre-challenge for a tournament and was stopped dead in my tracks, for much the same reason. I also sympathize with the not meeting your target fears. I'd love to paint 1500 points in three months; I feel I did quite well passing my lowly 200 quota.

But these are beautiful, Byron. Keep up the good work!

288 points in the spreadsheet!

HerrRobert, Friday Follies Phantasmical, Over

13 comments:

  1. Superb work Byron! Love 'em, especially the cavalry. The banners really finish them off nicely - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look fantastic Byron! I really struggled with 15mm figures too this year. Kept painting them like they were 28s (and expecting the same outcomes too) and it nearly drove me to tears!

    1500 points is nothing to sneeze at (I've never made it that far) - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those put my 15mm painting to shame Byron; you've done a great job with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pike blocks! I thought they were 28s, good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Byron! I look forward to seeing these fellows on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look brilliant, Byron! Really atmospheric and definitely looking the part! I love the natural colours, fine basing and the banners finish them off a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They still look very 28mm-ish to me, and that should be taken as a (big and very deserved) compliment. Fantastic work, this. I shall be eagerly looking forward to your 15mm contributions in the next Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic looking Swedes! Lovely finish and nice basing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. No matter how historically acurate or not but their uniformity really adds to their rather impressive appearance! Great work Byron.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Swedes Byron. Did they come in a flat pat box with an Allen key like Ikea furniture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that, I just had to go buy two more bookshelves to store all my minis on from Ikea yesterday! The Swedes now have their own Swedish shelf!

      Delete
  11. Brilliant looking force Byron!

    ReplyDelete