Saturday 9 March 2019

From GrantH: Commandos with Firefly support! (130 Points)

For my second post of the challenge, I have a small update of 22 Inter-allied Commandos with a Canadian Sherman Firefly in support! During World War II, the "butcher and bolt" tactics of commando units was the initial allied response to the need for striking out at fascist supply lines, installations and units across the European and North African front. 

Commando raids in Norway were so effective that German High Command moved a quarter of a million men in order to try and deter raids against the various factories and refineries that their war machine depended on. The Commandos I have painted are all outfitted in their iconic green berets, but some have their helmets strapped to their webbing and baggage for a little bit of character. Additionally they have been all based with sand, as I figure these lads would likely be doing some kind of amphibious landing somewhere. It was also the first time I decided to use the waterslide decal transfers and I am pretty pleased with how it came out.

The Sherman Firefly VC that accompanies them is arguably one of the most iconic Commonwealth tanks of the war. Armed with a formidable 17 pounder anti-tank gun, the firefly was capable of punching through the thick armor of most German tanks, quickly making it a favourite target for German defenders. The firefly I have painted is a Canadian one for the earlier days of the Normandy campaign, and as such lacks the iconic wavy camouflage that was used to try obscure the length of the gun. In total I believe this troop is worth 130 points.

The full troop of commandos.













The Firefly







All of these minis come from the warlord games range and were lots of fun to finish. I will likely need to wait till the next thaw in the weather before I can prime and paint my early war Polish, but hopefully that will be soon. Hopefully I can get at least one more post before then!

_______________________

Fabulous work Grant! These commando figures look terrific and that Firefly is truly a formidable beast with its huge honkin' 17 pounder making itself very well known. As you say, getting the appropriate decals is key with these vehicles and I love seeing the stylised Canadian maple leaf on the side of the turret. Good one.

This group will give you 130 points for your tally. I hope we see another entry from you before the Challenge concludes on the 20th.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely clean finish on the firefly! The commandos are great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was my first time painting a vehicle so I am pretty pleased with how it turned out.

      Delete
  2. That Firefly looks big!. Nicely done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It has certainly come in handy against recent games against German armour!

      Delete
  3. Nice commando teams, ready to hit the beach and blow something up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They have proven to be a valuable addition to my expanding British forces!

      Delete
  4. Grant, really great work and a nice write-up. Missed you at the mini-gathering for Evan's birthday. Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I look forward to sharing another post soon considering the challenge is coming to a close!!

      Delete
  5. Very nice work on those shoulder flashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! It was my first time using the transfer sheet decals

      Delete