Tuesday 28 January 2020

From EvanH: A Giant Figure For One Man (50 Points)

Greetings Challengers and Challenge Fans, my third fourth entry (third completed, fourth submitted) for Challenge X comes lumbering over the battlefields of the Old World in the form of this Citadel Giant.


This is my belated Curtgeld submission for Challenge X (don't worry, I cleared it with His Big Blueness earlier in the week), and is intended as a gift for my good mate Millsy.

Millsy has been run ragged fighting the fires which have been encircling Sydney since September last year, and has consequently missed out on his normal form of holiday relaxation, i.e., painting like a maniac.


Well, I couldn't have him miss out completely, and as it was his birthday a few weeks back, I dug out this old Giant from the Garage of Shame to add to his Orcs & Goblins army, or even use as a Mercenary Giant for his Dogs of War. Portability is the key!


I've left the base free of flock or tufts, so that Millsy can customise it to match the rest of the army. I'm quite pleased with how he's turned out, and I hope Millsy likes him too!




So 25 points as a Curtgeld submission, and as he's 110mm tall, I suppose that qualifies as the equivalent of two 54mm figures, which is 20 points, near enough. So if the Minions allow, he's worth 45 points!

More on the way, but for the moment, I've got a balloon to catch!

Stay tuned...!

Ev

_______________________________________________________

Evan - this is really cool to see! It brings back so many memories of Warhammer Fantasy Battle - at least, it does for me, and hopefully for the other classic Warhammer Fantasy fans who are participating in The Challenge. In my case, the memories are not "oh, I painted that figure too", but instead are more "oh, wow, that is the kind of figure I hope I can paint one day when I figure this stuff out."  It is so neat to see a finished one!

And really, who wouldn't want to carry a big barrel of grog around, right?

I'm sure Millsy will love it. Great work. I'm adding five bonus points for the "holy smokes, one of those wish-I-could-paint-that-thing-one-day-things" having actually been painted and for the fact that it is quite large.

GregB

21 comments:

  1. What terrific figure and a wonderful (and deserved) gift for Millsy. Beautiful work Ev. I've always coveted this figure, but thankfully/regrettably never had a reason to have one for my own collection. I love that you've given him quasi Landsknecht 'hose', though he may have to have a little chat with is tailor about the overall fit and finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's hard on clothes, that one. Glad you like him!

      Delete
  2. Love the flesh tones on the figure! Great Birthday present for your friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit worried about the skin tones, since there's just so much of him to cover. Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  3. Grand work, Ev! I bought this for my daughter as she wanted it for her wood elf force? ;) I get to keep the flattened gobbo and skeleton though.
    I like the colors you picked for him and the filthy look you gave him. Millsy is going to be pleased!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping, David - personal hygiene is not this giant's strong suit!

      Delete
  4. Great Work and I'm sure Millsy will love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a fab giant Ev - I'm sure Millsy will be pleased to receive it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He deserves it - hence the title, 'A Giant Figure for One Man'. Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  6. Lovely giant and generous gift to Millsy - much missed this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific looking giant and I'm sure Millsy will love him no end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous skin tones, excellent painting and a lovely present!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent work on this Brute Ev! Best wishes to Millsy if you’re talking to him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work. He looks the part! Brutish and mean that is :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a fitting tribute! We just saw pictures of the devastation in the Blue Mountains he's had to face and it's incredible. Apparently 80% of the vegetation is destroyed... so yeah this is a really nice gift to a deserving hero!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all the kind thoughts, folks - they are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete