Tuesday 28 January 2020

From PeteF: Snowlord's Peak Challenge - Minifig Polish Lancers (162 Points)


Polish Lancers of the Imperial Guard

The final stretch of the Path of History running up to the summit 
And now for some mountain exploration - crampons and ice axe ready! If you've read many of my Challenge posts you'll know about my Napoleonic Minifigs obsession. With the occasional detour into Prussians I am slowly but surely building up enough French Minifigs to fight Quatres Bras with Wellington's Anglo Allied army (which I inherited from my dad and brother).



The Lancers of the Imperial Guard were present at the battle - although not much involved. There were quite a lot of them (880) - mainly Dutch (the ones that wore red uniforms). The first squadron of five consisted of 109 Poles, all that was left of the Polish lancers after Napoleon's years of campaigning.

Minifigs - small but perfectly formed


These gentlemen represent that squadron - dark blue and crimson uniforms and the distinctive czapka. Best hat ever. I added paper pennons - I think lancers look better with these so I'll be going back over the collection to add them.

Best. Hats. Ever.

An ill advised E-Bay purchase last year caused me to own more guard lancers than can be justified in one collection. The per soldier cost seemed too good to turn down - but left me with many more guard lancers than I will need. I managed to shift a few at a bring and buy - but a surplus will remain - even after I've painted some more Dutch lancers. Does anyone want to trade for French line or light infantry?




Eight areas explored

View of the path of The New Shiny

This brings me to the summit of the Snow Lord's peak and I am enjoying the view of the rest of the island - I think I'll explore some more... the paths of the New Shiny and Imagination look like they'll be fun.

Not what an infantryman wants to see


On the summit of Snow Lord's Peak

12 25mm cavalry plus the area bonus comes to 150 points.


_______________________________________________________

Ahh, these are fabulous Pete (and great adventure pic of you)! I always enjoy seeing you add to your Napoleonic Minifig project, especially as it has such a personal connection to your dad and brother. 

I totally agree with you on the Polish czapka, it is the best hat ever. I've been lucky enough to have seen originals of the Polish lancer (and Red Lancer) uniforms at Les Invalides and Musee d l'Emperi in Provence and marveled at the craftsmanship of these garments - so beautiful. 

I have a similar project on the go, so your work here is great inspiration.

As to points, I'm adding a few more for the lance pennants (a nice finishing touch) which will give you a total of 162 for your tally. 

In recognition of your successful completion of the Snow Lord's challenge I am happy to award you MarkB's excellent Soviet Standard Bearer.


Well done Pete and congratulations on completing the Snow Lord's Peak!

-Curt

13 comments:

  1. Great work Pete. Minifigs are so great, and as Curt notes, we enjoy the personal connection to the project. Very nice, and congratulations on making the summit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely lancers Pete - well done on your successful ascent of Snowlord's Peak! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! The lancers are really nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on completing the Snow Lords task and wonderful work on these Minifigs. Best ha t, and maybe best uniform ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking Lancers and congratulations on reaching the peak! And yes best hat ever!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking unit Pete - was great to get a chance to chat with you while you worked on these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on those 'Polish' lancers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all - and thanks MarkB. She'll be the seed of a new soviet project. I'm always looking for a new army to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply gorgeous, nothing says Napoleonics so well as a brilliantly painted unit of horse!

    ReplyDelete