Tuesday 28 January 2020

From: SanderS - Protocol gone Critical (120 pts)

Hoi,

If I am being honest I was actually saving these figures up for O'Grady's Gulch as I have painted these figures for a friend who's the owner of our FLGS. You have to paint something for someone else at the Gulch if I am not mistaken, but since I am painting stuff for 3 other people I can just as well enter this lot for regular points right now.

So a while back Martijn said: "Would you like to paint a set of Crisis Protocol for me?" I let the idea play around in my head. "If the figures are nice, sure why not?" I said, boy was I in for a surprise: there's really a LOT in the box!






Not only are the rules and usual gaming aids included in the box, there's plenty of scenery in there too! So a bucketload of plastic was awaiting me and of great quality at that. There's really good instructions to go with the 10 figures (including plastic scenic bases), two cars, a kiosk selling the Daily Bugle, some street-furniture and plastic rulers.


It took me far too long to get everything painted, the procedings were interrupted by the spell of correcting tests I spoke of earlier, but now it's all done.


The goodies!



From left to right: Black Widow, Captain Marvel (no idea really who she is), Captain America, Iron Man and Spiderman.



The cars are next. Basically there are two vehicles of the same type included in the box, but there's a small Cab-sign so you can paint one, like I did, as a taxi. 



 Next up are two streetlights and stop-signs. I know one should read STOP not HALT but I couldn't paint that right so I ended up with this.



The garbage disposals, stop those presses Threepio! 



My favourite scenery piece must be the kiosk! I embellished it with cut out comics of which I tried to find as many as possible, that featured the actual "heroes" supplied in the game.



I am no big fan of Marvel or DC, I have seen some of the Batman and Spiderman movies and some of the recent Netflix series, but that's about it. I am however a SW OT purist so some Star Wars references were in order.



The Baddies

From left to right: Baron Zemo (who?!), The Red Skull,Ultron, Doc Octopussy and Cross-bones



My favorite mini of the entire bunch (so including the Goodies) is Red Skull, I am extremely happy with the energy cube he is holding (energon? Oh no wrong franchise yet again!)



I almost forgot to show the rulers, they are cast in sturdy grey plastic as well and were a pain to paint well, since they either represent arcs of laser/e fire .
or movement. The latter (shown on the bottom of the picture) are the range rulers and the smallest one shows a heavy set figure running fast, the middle sized one shows the hulk jumping over some buildings and the last one shows a hero flying through the universe (Flash?) and even cutting a planet right in two.


Counting out the points is a real pain here... at the Minions pleasure to redact I'd go with the following:
- 10 figures of 28mm scale = 50 points
- 2 vehicles in 28mm = 40 points
- the scenery and rulers together is hard to measure well but doesn't really exceed the 6"cube much so I'd say 20 points?
Totalling in 110 points.






Spidey says: May the Force be with you!

-------
By Paul:

WoW! That is quite the labour of love - must be a very good friend!

And you've pulled it off beautifully with crisp, clean colours that look spot on!  The terrain is fantastic too. Miniature comic books?  Seriously?  Awdry level awesomeness.

In addition to the figures I'm awarding 10 bonus points for the fantastic details across this whole project, for a total of 120 points.

Very impressive work Sander, your friend will be thrilled

28 comments:

  1. Fantastic work! I especially like the scenery - mini-comics, in particular. (Did you make sure to include all the pages with properly transcribed stories, for full authenticity?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll top you one: all pages are included and these actually portray the Japanese versions with extra bonus pages, you nutter!

      Delete
  2. Lovely work Sander and a great touch with those comics :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great load of figures and scenery, really smart!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. GReat Stuff I also love the Red Skull

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic work Sander. Not only is the painting top quality, but I am always impressed when someone finishes the entire contents of a box set...I have so many box sets of different genres where figures and terrain were included, and yet I think I have only managed to paint the entire contents of a single box set once...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it does help if it is for someone else, there's just that bit more of a sense of urgency to get the work done.

      Delete
  6. Wow! This is just amazing Sander. Such a lovely gift and a great memento of your friendship. I love that final shot of Spidey atop the Daily Bugle newsstand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and as an aside, these will see plenty of gaming use as they will be the demo-set in the store.

      Delete
  7. Brilliant work, Sander! I have painted a few boxed games in recent years, but not to this level!
    The miniature comics in the kiosk are a real classy touch as is the starwars comic added by the door. The rusty dumpsters and shiny cars are well done too. The figures grand, as they should be....but holy heck! You even prettied up the templates! That alone is worth a few extra minion points! Your friend is going to like this set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I would never buy these for myself, but I like to paint figures like these to see if I can pull it off and boy am I obnoxiously smug about these ;-)

      Delete
  8. Busy bee! I especially like the kiosk, the comics are a great touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iannick, they are great figures to work with.

      Delete
  9. Excellent painting if a little out of focus at times ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a ton of awesomeness that is. My fave is the newspaper kiosk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super stuff Sander! They might not really be your thing but you’ve done a stonking job on them all. Great work on the kiosk and such punchy colours throughout. and fab to see some supers, they’re a rare sight in the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes well theyndid break up the monotomy of more kakhi clad troops I have on the table...

      Delete
  12. Thanks Christopher, cheers Sander (without the last S ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Paul: thanks heaps for the praise and the bonus points, much obliged kind sir!

    ReplyDelete