Sunday 19 January 2020

From NoelW: Benito’s Brook: Zulu wars (70 points)


Travelling west we come to an impassable brook. If we could get across we could turn south, where there might be a path taking us closer to the SnowLord’s Peak. But if we can’t cross the brook, we’ll have to carry on our way west, travelling even further from the Peak.

On the opposite bank is a man with a (very) small boat. He doesn’t look happy. Next to his boat are a fox, a duck and a bag of grain.

“I’d come and fetch you,” he shouts, “but my fox wants to eat my duck, and my duck wants to eat my grain, so I can’t leave them unsupervised. If I could bring them over to you, you could look after them for me, and I’d ferry you back here one by one, but I’ve only room in the boat for one item or passenger at a time. If you could figure out a safe way to help me, I’d be happy to ferry you.”

No problem. The solution seems obvious. We could simply – no, that wouldn’t work. How about if he leaves the – no, that wouldn’t work, either. Shaking our heads, we realise the problem is insoluble, at least for our militarily acute brains, so we have to accept it’s impossible, and head once more the wrong way, towards the western coast.


---

The submission is rather obvious for the “impossible odds” requirement: Isandlwana. I’ve had a Rorke’s Drift setup for some while, and last year decided I’d enough Zulus to extend the project to the disaster which preceded it. Conveniently, the Perrys have been producing suitable figures in their Victoria’s Little Wars range, so I’ve been building up the collection, and they’re getting their paint a few figures at a time.

This submission consists of Lieutenant-Colonel Anthony William Durnford, who commanded No 2 column, and a small unit of dismounted Natal Carbineers, of whom there were 28 in No 1 column. All died.

Here’s Durnford:





and the Carbineers:





The blue here is rather brighter than in real life, due to the use of flash. They still look pretty good, I think.

Points: 1 mounted 28mm =10, 6 foot = 30, Benito’s Brook =30: TOTAL 70 pts

13 comments: