Wednesday 1 January 2020

From Paul SS - Virginian Infantry Regiment - 120 points


Under the tree was a box of Perry Miniatures Confederate infantry wrapped up for me. Over the past few days I've assembled and painted a couple of dozen of them as a Virginian Regiment of the Army of Northern Virginia.


Most of my Confederates previously painted are as a rag-tag bunch in a mish-mash of greys, butternuts, etc. but I wanted this unit to look more uniform. So, they are all painted with the same coloured jackets and kepis (base-coat VMC Dark Blue-grey) with a blue collar. All trousers are painted in the same colour (base-coat VMC Neutral Grey) , only the blanket rolls etc. are less uniform.

There are three highlights on each uniform colour, adding a touch more VMC Pale Grey in each, but the highlights are really not showing up that well in the images.


The only difference to the standard uniform colour applied throughout this unit is that the officers coat is done off of a base-coat of VMC Luftwaffe uniform. The flag is from Warflag, printed out at the local Staples.


Although most of the infantry are using the attacking pose, I made up some of them using the arms from the Union Skirmishers frame for a little variety adding a chap ramming home, one biting into his cartridge and the other firing.


I'm currently working on another unit from the box and hope to have that ready for my next post in a few days.

Twenty-four 28mm infantry should net me 120 points, and pick up the momentum that I let slip over the holiday break.

Aah most excellent to see a decent sized unit of 28s. I like the colour choices , and its also nice to see some CSA that are not a rag tag bunch either . So 120 points it is to get you motoring again .

26 comments:

  1. Lovely unit of rebels Paul, I agree with Dave that it’s really nice to see Confeds looking better than a rag tag bunch of vagrants. Your highlighting looks great. You’ve got them based individually - do you game with troops that way or use sabots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter.
      I do use some sabot bases from Warbases when playing larger games. Some shots of the on their bigger bases in action here: https://scrivsland.blogspot.com/2019/11/first-game-of-longstreet-in-years.html

      Delete
  2. A fine regiment of rebels Paul!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work. And impressive turnaround time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful looking unit of V'ginians, Paul! Your brushwork is so clean, smooth and neat. A joy to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking bunch of Confederates!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Rebels, Scrivs! These look super, and I agree that the "uniformed look" works really well on these boys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those Rebels! While I usually prefer the less uniform look I have to admit this unit works exceptionally well in their more regular outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm going back to raggedy Rebs for the next unit, I have enough regimented Union chaps to paint :)

      Delete
  8. smashing stuff, the highlighting has worked very well indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work on these Rebs - they have really come to life and the more regular look works very nicely indeed

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very fine brush work Paul, great job.

    ReplyDelete