Wednesday 1 January 2020

From TomG'' - First Post from the wind swept Sander's Sand Dune. - 40 Points

Hey all, here is my first ever entry to The Painting Challenge, but, boy, what a rollercoaster it has been to get it to you! Having planned my painting recipes, packed all of the paints needed and set off to the in-laws house for Christmas week, I get there only to find I left all of my minis at home! THE HORROR! A whole week of the painting challenge being wasted... or was it? Being able to see all of thr amazing entries come flooding in was so inspiring, that as soon as I got home I dived in to the hobby office and let the Yuletide juices flow.

So here for your viewing pleasure is the Holiday Hellboy by Mantic Games. 


So in keeping with the Sanders Sand Dune I was wondering what I had that was red, and if course it had to be Big Red, but I wanted there to be a twist to the standard red coat Santa look. As such I checked out some old Christmas cards of St Nick, and found some that had very similar gifts in their sacks, minus the skulls of course. 

However when it came to the red I wanted to make sure the stone hand and arm stood out from the skin, so to achieve this it was painted with a less saturated palette, then given a wash with black oil paint. 


Unfortunately this image came out a bit blurred, but hopefully it shows off some of the effort that went in to the green fabric, and the textured effect that I was testing on the gift sack. 

Finally was was the base, and although I've not seen snow this festive season, I couldn't resist the urge for a white Christmas for Hellboy. It was surprisingly fun to bury the skulls in snow and to leave some settled on the grave stones. 

For 2 days work I'm pretty happy with how this one has turned out, and it has helped motivate me to get more sorted. Now I think that this it's classed as a 28mm mini, and with it being a challenge entry, I'm guessing it'll give me 35 points? If not a solid 5 and my first entry secured makes me happy. Next up will be something slithery from warmer climates.

Well your pent up creative juices have certainly worked here Tom.. Thats a fine entry to challenge island .I am going to top you up to 40 points for all the extra work on the skulls and basing - its a lovely job 

oh and for the stats nerds out there - yes Miles thats you - this is also the 4000th post on the challenge blog!

30 comments:

  1. Lovely work, Tom. The snow looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! For the base I used the GW technical "Valhallan Snow" which was great fun to play with.

      Delete
  2. That's a lovely job Tom, great figure and the basing is spot on, love the snow.

    Regards Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking really really good mate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You could say he is a Ron Pearler-man if you know what I mean haha

      Delete
  5. Great work Tom, he certainly fits the red bill. Great snow effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, I did worry when I took the photo and could only see green and white haha!

      Delete
  6. Super looking seasonal hellboy!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, he's fabulous, Tom. I really like his 'skintone' and the groundwork is terrific. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will admit reading this comment made me feel like I've already achieved my hobby high for the year tehe!

      Delete
  8. Lovely work on Hellboy. I like everything about this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful and seasonal first entry Tom. More Hellboy to come later in the Challenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite likely now, although I may hold off as I have a mantic Krampus headed my way, and it looks beautiful.

      Delete
  10. Great work, Tom, as well done for surviving the nightmare of spending Christmas with your paints and brushes, but no miniatures! All that's behind you, as Hellboy is a cracker - really terrific, and as red as they come!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sidney, thank you, that's extremely motivating, and you're right, the horror-hobby week is been and gone.

      Delete
  11. Welcome ashore Tom! That's a marvelous first entry and I shall be looking forward to more of such high quality brush work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As complements go, this one has put the biggest smile on my face, thank you.

      Delete
  12. Whoa, 4000th post. That means mine was 4004! :)
    Nice Santa, Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice job, the green offsets the red very well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a relief to hear, I worried that it would wash out the red. Thank you.

      Delete
  14. Brilliant work Tom. I love the red skin tones, complemented beautifully by his green coat. Fantastic stuff and a joy to look at

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, I'm truly blown away by the positivity I'm receiving!

      Delete