Saturday 15 February 2020

From Barks: Ginger Ninja (35 points)

I got some second-hand assassins a few years ago, assembled and undercoated. I painted the Vindicare for the AHPC VIII BFG theme round two years ago. I was daunted by the Callidus' synskin and held off, but have decided it is time to Just Get It Done.




My synskin technique involves various blue-grey shades up to white, then a wash with Army Painter Blue Tone, which gives it a satisfying black tone. I know, right?


I should add more rubble to the base, it is a little threadbare and visually unbalanced.

I dug up my still unfinished 1997 Callidus- it is satisfying to see how many nods the 2015 sculpt gives to the Jes Goodwin original- sadly for my side duel, there are less skullz on the new model!



1x 28mm- 5 points
Sarah's Balloon- first trip!- 30 points

Skull-o-meter™: 5
Cumulative Skullz: 18

Now to choose a dropzone...

***

While it is very nice to see this new model, and you have done a bang up job on it, there is just something about that original model.  I know the original is very 2 dimensional, and it has some issues, BUT it is such an iconic part of 40k it's hard to look past it to anything new.

I agree with you on the base issues for the new one as well, it needs something more to add to the base (maybe more skulls?).  

Overall though, great work on the new one, even if I do prefer the old model better.

- ByronM

16 comments:

  1. Ooooh nice! This is the pose I have been looking for for ages! You have painted her brilliantly and the base is top notch too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking assassin but yes, lacking in skulls!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great pose and stunning painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a superb Vindicare, Barks. I really like the colour of her bodysuit and the hair is a great counterpoint. Is this a GW sculpt or 3rd party?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful work, especially on the hair! But I'm totally with Byron in that I actually prefer the older sculpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t really have a preference, but I love how much the old one holds up.

      Delete
  6. Very nice Barks and that hair color really stands out!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work Barks, the hair is great. Needs more skulls...

    ReplyDelete