Thursday 26 March 2020

From EvanH - The Challenge X Round-Up

Greetings Challengers and Challenge Fans!

Well, one Challenge is over, and another one looks like it might be just around the corner...

Lurking well below all the Stakhanovites topping the table, I played things a little more sedately. Pity I didn't manage to meet my 400 points, but what the hey, if I was doing it like it was a job, it wouldn't be fun anymore! I can only stand amazed at the quality and quantity of work produced by my fellow Challengers; all of you have shown superb dedication under what can only be described as highly unusual and stressful circumstances.

So here is my output for Challenge X; as usual, it's small enough to fit on a tea tray.


That's most of it anyway - there was one more figure who missed out on the group shot because he's now at his new home; it's Millsy's Birthday Giant!


This was one of the three giants I painted for this year's Challenge, and while it doesn't qualify me as a member of the League of Painting Giants, it should at least qualify me as a member of the League of... Giant Painters? Is there such a thing? Maybe there is now...!

On a side note, it was a huge thrill to see my Frost Giant mini from two years ago getting another outing as the personification of the Snowlord; the big blue guy is still one of my faves!

My own high points for this Challenge? The Fertility Goddess and her worshippers were definitely up there;


And the Orc Boss for Sander's Sand Dunes; he was a lot of fun!


The vignette for Awdry's Atoll, The Riddle of the Sphinx, was another one I'm especially happy with.


A bit of conversion, some serious thought given to composition, and it all paid off quite nicely.

Things I would have liked to have completed include a bunch of Thracian peltasts, more of the Foundry Bronze Age figures, and another detachment of Sun Dome pikemen for Gloranthan gaming. These were all completed to undercoat stage, but missed the final bell.

So we'll leave it there, for now at least. It's been a great few months, and a real antidote to the twists and turns of the wider world. The Quarantine Challenge promises to help us through what is frankly shaping up to be a pretty awful few months.  Thanks to Curt for organising this wonderful opportunity for us to support one another and stay sane!

So everyone, be safe, and I'll see you all again in the not-too-distant future.

Stay tuned...!

Ev
_____________________________________________________________

22 comments:

  1. Small, yes, but perfectly formed. :) Tremendous work, Ev. I loved all your entries, especially that wonderful gift for the worthy Millsy. The Snow Lord has retired back to his spot in my display cabinet, where, no doubt, he is plotting the next series of adventures for our doughty Challengers. Thanks and well done, Ev!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small but excellent. Your fertility goddess may have been my favourite mini of the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not the size of your entry, but what you do with it that counts. Or so I'm told anyway.
    Great work, the sphinx is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid entries, loved the giants but the fertility goddess tops them all!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see the female figures getting some appreciation - especially the goddess 😁

      Delete
  5. Thanks and reminded me of your great entries .......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quality over quantity, nothing wrong with that. I really loved the Sphinx vignette, very creative and well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martijn! I think the Sphinx and the Goddess were my two faves.😊

      Delete
  7. Your fertility Goddess scene gets my vote for Challengers favourite. Awesome composition there Evan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray - maybe a few floppy hats will make their way into the Quarantine Challenge?🤔

      Delete
  9. very interesting work! the stone idol is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some really nice large entries there, and the fertility idol is particularly memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Barks, she certainly makes an impression!

    ReplyDelete