Tuesday 22 December 2020

From MilesR: A 6mm Republican Roman Army - part I (385 points, pending Curt's review & approval)


The first submission for Challenge XI from the Lair is part of a Republican Roman Army - all in glorious 6mm with figures from the superb Baccus range.

As you can see in the first pictures, there are some Spanish and Italian allies still being painted that will join the ranks in a few days.

The heart of any Roman army is it's heavy infantry which are represented in this force by 8 bases of Hastati (front) and 8 bases on Principaes in the back.  Each base has 24 figures.

Only 2 bases of Triarii - that will have to be remedied when the mythical Baccus shopping cart opens back up.

For ranged support there are 6 bases of Balearic slingers and 2 bases of scorpions.

Skirmishing ahead of the heavy infantry will be 12 bases of Velites, each with 8 figures.

 
Finally 8 bases of Roman Cavalry some with 6 and others with 5 figures (45 total figures).

In the front are 4 bases of allied Italian Hoplites

These are all based for the Age of Hannibal ruleset which is our ancients mainstay at the club.  They're a lot of fun and the basing is generic enough that these troops can be adapted for other rulesets if needed.

Sorry about the picture quality, the workshop is in a bit of disarray with the holidays (that's my current excuse).  Once I've got a better place to take some pictures, I will update this post.  Remember I adhere by Stalin's definition of quality when it comes to painting.

In terms of total figures painted 

24 Figure bases:  22x24 = 528
8 Figure Bases:  18x8= 144
Scorpions  8 figures & 2 scorps
Cavalry 45 figures

Grand Total
Infantry Figures        680 x 0.5pts = 340 points
Cavalry                      45 x 1 = 45 points

Grand Total:  385 Points    

25 comments:

  1. I've managed 1 base of Republican Romans in 2 days, you've done an entire army ! Well done 👍🏼

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What can I say? In one shot you score close to my whole Challenge target points

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you just painted in a day more than I plan to do for the whole challenge. That's that settled then. You mnust tell us your secret, for I hardly manage one or two bases in a day. Well done, and the pictures really show the 6mm mass effect. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. photoshop - all the mini;s are actually unpainted and I just edit their images in photoshop. Whew that felt good to get off my chest.

      Delete
    2. That's a relief! For a moment I feared you must have sold your soul to the devil for speed painting skills...

      Delete
  4. Wow. Wonderful work Miles! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's an impressive haul for one day - the army looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well one day being in the lead was fun, but I'm never going to catch up with that :D

    I don't understand how you can paint up so many tiny figures so quickly. When I tried I managed about 2 stands in a day and promptly gave up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take cover its a point Bomb!

    Great work

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid army in a day! They look ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, a decent start towards your target of 18,000 points?
    Brilliant first offering, Miles. Impressive looking army.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boom, the bomb has hit! Excellent opening salvo Miles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Splendid stuff Miles, straight in with a points bomb.
    Although if your plans involve the Baccus cart opening back up we may be allowed to catch up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My plans are cointingement on the Baccus cart re-opening in early January although I do have some miniatures from Mr Berry "in-transit"

    Thanks for the comments. I am not a very good painter but I can be fast. The key is loading up a good podcast and listening to a bunch of episodes. The current favorite is "The Prof G Show" which is very thought provoking. I highly recommend it. He can be a bit coarse but he does extol the need for compassionate capitalism in a very thoughtful way. To quote the Prof - "go - go - go"!

    ReplyDelete
  13. For crying out loud Miles. TOp effort on these tiny chaps

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning, your output is incredible. Well done on this points bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blimey Miles!! Well done sir. I doff my virtual cap to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that is a ton of little soldiers! How the heck did you get all those done??? The best I can manage for 6mm is about 1 stand of 24ish every 90 minutes or so.... Awesome work Miles!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice work! I'm feeling the pull of 6mm ancients...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Superb work Miles - the massed effect of 6mm is quite stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Man now I feel really behind if you got all that done. I haven't even finished priming some of my stuff for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great "start" Miles - nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Boom, out of the gates with this lot

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  22. I concur. You have painted more in one go than I will all challenge.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete