Thursday 7 January 2021

AdamC: l'Orient

I know you have been waiting for this some big Black Seas Ships. 
This is a ship that had three names Dauphine Royale, Sans Culottes, but is most famous as l'Orient
This one is a monster ship-of-line with 118 guns one of the Ocean class. She is of course most famous for blowing up spectacularly at the Battle of Nile one of the most painted moments in maritime history.
I went with the "Traditional" French colors.  I also added some gold to her stern and figurehead. 
This ship was meant as an expression of national power as much as a weapon of war. 
Points I think 30 points is reasonable for a 1st rate of this sort. Her sails and rigging are pretty complex on most ships normally I would say 5 but in this case I'll ask for 8 and maybe another 2 for sails and flags so 40 in total. That said I will take whatever is given. 

15 comments:

  1. superb work - lets hope this one doesn't blow up while at anchor on a display shelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a 3 year old around it's possible but hopefully not

      Delete
  2. Another nice contribution, Adam! One of the best ships in the Black Seas range, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its a very nice one. I prefer the plastic models to the resin in gerneral but they are all lovely.

      Delete
  3. The boy stood on the burning deck
    Whence all but him had fled;
    The flame that lit the battle's wreck
    Shone round him o'er the dead.
    Excellent, L'Orient is one of those ships that has entered into the hall of fame. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work on L’Orient Adam, she turned out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning work on the ship. The rigging and sails look like they were a lot of effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sails are easy. the Rigging is a good bit of work.

      Delete
  6. Well done. Only downside I’d seeing pushes me to want. Ha, again nice work. BruceR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the greatest dangers of the challenge

      Delete
  7. Great looking first rate!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keeping up with the Napoleonic ships, I was wondering if you had forgotten about them !
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've definitely been waiting for this and you don't disappoint. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete