Friday 8 January 2021

From Barks: The pinnacles of pain (40 points)

Harvard intellectual Steven Pinker pulls no punches in his examination of torture in his tome The better angels of our nature (2011). He quotes a Scot tortured on the rack by the Spanish in the early seventeenth century:

As the levers bent forwards, the main force of my knees against the two planks burst asunder the sinews of my hams, and the lids of my knees were crushed. My eyes began to startle, my mouth to foam and froth, and my teeth to chatter like the doubling of a drummer's sticks. My lips were shivering, my groans were vehement, and blood sprang from my arms, broken sinews, hands, and knees. Being loosed from these pinnacles of pain, I was hand-fast set on the floor, with this incessant imploration: 'Confess! Confess!'

Pinker describes in horrifying detail how medieval Europe was a culture of cruelty with institutionalised violence and systemic sadism. Thankfully, "the Humanitarian Revolution initiated the abolition of many barbaric practices that had been unexceptional features of life for most of human history."


It all makes me squeamish, but I quickly printed and painted some nasty implements from Printable Scenery. The guillotine blade failed and was replaced with plasticard. If I was to base the guillotine, I would add a bucket or basket for collecting the heads...

Scoring based on precedent: 20 points

Pit of the Pendulum bonus: 20 points

Skull-o-meter™: 1



28 comments:

  1. Now, I shouldn't have read that first paragraph right after breakfast.
    Apart from that that's a interesting collection of torture devices there. Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if I should put a trigger warning...

      Delete
  2. I'm with you - being aware of the reality of what we're making a game of, is sometimes challenging. I'm busy painting torture instruments, too, but they'll only ever be dungeon decor. I guess we're in a better place than those who decorated medieval gateways with the heads of their enemies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly a disconnect as I cheerfully paint up science fiction crazed murder cultists.

      Delete
  3. this is just nasty. Nice painting though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just some dry brushing to get them done.

      Delete
  4. Nasty bunch of implements Barks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid collection of implements of torture you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nasty dungeon dressing, nice work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need some of these to help 'lift' staff morale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come the revolution, you'll have regrets!

      Delete
  8. Nice work on these thoroughly unpleasant devices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed an opportunity to add the Inquisitors here! I'll correct that on my blog.

      Delete
  10. The poor chap on the rack doesn't look too healthy?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some really fitting and very well painted scenery pieces Barks. Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great selection of, let's not say Torture devices, let's say Answer influencers 😄
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  13. That citation was a bit too much for me, but the models certainly look great. I'don't think you are going to get anything more out of the bloke on the rack though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make one despair about humankind a bit.

      He’s holding out, he must be a well-trained spy!

      Delete