Wednesday 20 January 2021

From JasperO - USS Essex enters The Aquifer (45) points

I've been working on a variety of topics since the Challenge began, but we're almost a month in now and I thought I'd better finish something! So here's USS Essex, fresh from hunting whalers, hiding from HMS Surprise in The Aquifer.


It's the Warlord Black Seas model built pretty much straight from the box. I've built about a dozen of the ships from this range now and I'm really enjoy them. Replacing the provided bobbin of thread with some modeller's rigging thread (which has some lycra in it) makes that fiddly part of the build so much easier. 

Here's USS Essex with her larger companion USS Constitution which I finished just before the Challenge started. Together they should make quite the pair on the table in their striking colours (and hopefully making their enemies strike theirs... Sorry, I'll leave now...)
I'm not entirely sure about points. It's 20 points for the Chamber, and 1/700 fully rigged up frigates seem to get about 25, so a total of 45?
--------
Oooohhh... This is nice indeed Jasper, with sure lines and steady sails! Classic ships which helped found the beginnings of the modern US Navy. Lovely job!
Frigates are indeed usually at the 18-20 points mark, and I'll go to 25 for the additional rigging, ratlines and flags.  May she find a Willing Foe and Sea-room! 
Cap'n Wednesday

18 comments:

  1. That's lovely work, Jasper! Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing...I just could not manage the thread. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work Jasper, love the sharp work on the white and black and the rigg8ng looks great. Now there’s some one else for me to trail in the naval duel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the Challenge Jasper! That is a lovely looking model. I like the clear acrylic base (makes so much sense with naval games). I look forward to seeing more from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those ships look superb... I live in fear of rigging those Black Seas ships...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all! The rigging isn’t that bad. Good tweezers, small scissors and slightly elastic (that’s the Lycra) rigging do the trick if you can supply the patience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous looking ship!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great with all the rigging - lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Jasper, just snuk under the barrier, have you dragged Guy with you?
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I have. Always have to drag him along...

      Delete
  10. That's a striking colour scheme! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely looking ship, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great clean and crisp paintjob Jasper!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is some very lovely clean work Jasper and nailed the sail tones in particular!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only way IS Essex. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow - that's a fine looking ship

    ReplyDelete