Wednesday 20 January 2021

From Mike W [The Armoury] - 17th Century Ottoman Turk Armoured Cavalry (80 Points)

Pushing on into the second level of the Dungeon, I'm now submitting a post from within 'The Armoury'.

This sees me returning to an old favourite - my 1683, Siege of Vienna Project and padding out the Ottoman forces somewhat. Basis the premise that you can never have too much cavalry in an Ottoman army I am painting up another squadron of Heavy Armoured Cavalry.

Undercoated Ottoman Armoured Cavalry,
waiting for further attention

(By the way I have an Ottoman Janissary Orta, lined up to be painted in the next couple of weeks as well some tents / camp equipment that will add flavour to ay table top game - hopefully) 

Finished Ottoman Armoured Cavalry 

I think I have described in previous challenges how I have sourced Ottoman cavalrymen from eBay without horses, or with horse models that I was not happy with, and have substituted plastic horses from the Hat Industre 28mm 'El Cid' range to provide mounts. I have done this again here.

Unit from their left flank, highlighting the generic standard

I repeat the note of caution - I do not rate the mounted figures that come in the above boxes so  throw these away and use just the horses.


Another view of the unit, from the right flank


So these little guys are all armed with a lance and shield, the shields are from the Wargames Atlantic Medieval Irish and / or Afghanistan packs - both looking suitably Turkish. I have not gone overboard and armed these guys with bows and / or firearms as with previous iterations as I felt I needed to have some more 'run of the mill' type troops to bulk out the army.

A white undercoat started the painting process, and then a mix of bright colours to do their trousers and coats, 'Oily Steel' for the armour and 'Monster Brown' for the fur cloaks.

Close up of three of the guys

I applied various washes to the figures, this time an overall 'Sepia' to et whole figure before picking out armour using black ink and the fur using brown ink.

The flag is a generic Ottoman standard.

Finally the other three guys!

Figures are glued to plastic bases and then matt varnished and ground texture applied - i.e. fine sand and static grass plus a few random tufts.

POINTS

6 x 28mm Mounted Figures @ 10 Pts each     = 60 points

The Armoury Bonus                                          20 points

TOTAL                                                               80 Points

------

Great to see this project continuing Mike, I'm looking forward to seeing it all laid out together! 80 points for you

Cap'n Wednesday

9 comments:

  1. I love this project Mike, great work.
    Any tips on starting books for the Siege of Vienna? I'm...just asking for a friend...yes, that's it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Mike. I have painted the Hat El cid figures and found them to be more work than the results warrant. The horses work well in their new role. FYI the Perry’s sell the horses from their plastic War if the Roses era Knights and light cavalry kits and they are very nice figures that might morph well into this project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Link here,
      https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product/b-29-wars-of-the-roses-ea-horses/

      Delete
  4. I really like the way you combine the hat horses with your ebay sourced horsemen, it's a great project and they look ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job putting the two figure sources together 👍 great job
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice painting, basing, and banner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on these cavalry minis.

    ReplyDelete