Wednesday 22 December 2021

From SamuliS: Over the Hills and Far Away - Arda (40 points)

Dang it feels good to be back! By my counts this should be my tenth challenge though couple of the last ones haven't been exactly the most glorious points wise. Being away from home constantly due to business travel and constant overtime on top of having a new kid last year kind of burned me out a bit. But now I've been at home on paternity leave for 9.5 months and now starting a new position at work with far less travel and somewhat shorter hours so I'm ready to tackle this challenge full of energy again! I'm starting with a modest goal, but I'm optimistic that this time around I can easily reach it and increase it mid-challenge ;)


I'll kick things off with a simple terrain submission of a few different hills that I quickly painted up and flocked during a few meetings yesterday. Four generic ones for my own use at home as I'm slowly building up a proper gaming area at our new house and one for our clubs growing Warmaster terrain collection. For the Warmaster terrain I had originally test printed some 28mm terrain in 8mm scale to see how it would turn out, but hadn't really done anything with it since. Finally got around to painting it and it fits in for Warmaster quite nicely with a steep hill and ruined tower on top being a suitable hideout for a Necromancer and just provide some blockage for movement and line of sight to force the armies to manouvre a bit more.

 

Nothing really special about them. Just some XPS foam cut to shape with a foam cutter and then with stairs carved out with a hobby knife. Some spackle on top to give it texture and protect the surface followed by craft paints and some flocking. The ruins had several different washes applied on top of each other while wet to give it some blended shading that starts greenish at the bottom and moves to more basic grey tones at the top. The colours don't really come through with the bad lighting in my gaming room so you've gotta take my word for it ;)

With the Warmaster terrain I'll use it as an opportunity to take some cheeky extra points from travelling to Arda on my fantastical ruins ;) I'm only really counting the Warmaster terrain piece for points as it was the only one that involved a bit more painting and work. The other hills feel a bit like cheating. That piece of terrain is roughly 7x4x4 inches by size so probably fits the 6" cube nicely for another 20 points.

____________________________________________

Warmaster? Now you're talking my language. I have a bunch of 10mm fantasy stuff I want to do this Challenge, so this is very inspiring. I particularly like the whimsical carved stairs leading up to the ruined tower. Great use of online meeting time (I'm just assuming you were online and with no camera). :)

Welcome back to the Challenge, Samuli!

-Curt

39 comments:

  1. Good to have you back Samuli and some top notch terrain pieces!

    Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Curt I think you will be seeing quite a bit more Warmaster stuff from me during the challenge still ;) Just started another army for it a month ago and still plenty of units left to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small and perfect! Well done and congrats on the new child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice terrain pieces, Samuli! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's some cool looking terrain, good job! And all the best with the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking terrain pieces!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. That ruin is great. Will be nice to see more 10mm fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks! Should have more 10mm up next week ;)

      Delete
  8. Welcome back. Great looking ruins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see some terrain entries early on. I'm making some stuff myself but its still at the 'drying and cracking' stage!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done, very convincing scenery! The colours come through well enough to show how much work you put into it. Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, great to see some Warmaster terrain! The hills are goodlooking and efficient, but the ruins are very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marvellous. I acquired a Warmaster Empire Army recently. May not make this years challenge though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really recommend painting them, at least I've really enjoyed painting 10mm compared to the 28 and 15mm stuff I normally do. Super fast and still fairly easy to achieve good results.

      Delete
  13. Wonderful little terrain pieces. That tower looks like it printed and painted up very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed reading your process! The staircase is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great looking terrain, that lot should find a lot of use on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nicely crafted terrain pieces SamuliS.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great work. Good to hear that there will be more Warmaster stuff to follow.
    Cheers
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice start, Samui! Those hills are very nice. They are definitely hills that infantry will hate! ;)

    ReplyDelete