Wednesday 22 December 2021

From Paul OG - 28mm Lovecraftian Night Gaunts and Ghosts (50points)(Istvaan V)

Each Challenge I try to get an entry done in the first few days. While generally very simple offerings, they give me a sense of first steps taken, a journey begun.  Some lads here are into the Napoleonic Horror game Silver Bayonet - I think it's a salve for the thousands of Nappy troops that should be used more often, plus its just cool! Uncharacteristically, I'm not one of those with thousands of Nappy troops (in fact I don't have a single one) so I am focusing initially on the monsters.  

Here are a trio of Lovecraftian faceless horrors known as Night Gaunts to oppose our heroes. They have been patiently sitting in my pile of potential for some years, but I believe they were by a company called Hobby Products and are now OOP.  


And a trio of Ghosts - older GW Army of the Dead model from their metal Lord of the Rings range.

Thats 6 x 28mm figures to get me off the mark with 30pts, and 20 bonus points for the planet Istavaan V due to their horror/cultist/heretical nature.

Merry Christmas and best wishes for a great AHPC everyone!

______________________________


*Spits his eggnog and sputters* Not a single Napoleonic figure?! How does that even happen?! That's, that's... that's heresy in itself. Now Paul, you know what I'm challenging you to do this season, right?  No Napoleonics... *huffs in disbelief*

That all aside, these lads are a great opening volley, Paul (love the old school metals). I especially covet those long OOP night-gaunts. Tasty those. I also need to get me a copy of those new shiny 'Silver Bayonet' rules - they sound like an absolute hoot.

Oh, and you forgot your post labels buddy. Shhh. I won't tell Tamsin. It will be our little secret. Oh wait...

- Curt


38 comments:

  1. Nice job on these creepy chaps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smashing work Paul. I love the violet on the gargoyle types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bedford - I was going for a creepy look with darker, desaturated tones.

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking gaunts and ghosts!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice start to the challenge Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice baddies to open with, Paul! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the Skaven in the world and no Napoleonics! These look spookily great, and I'm looking forward to our games of Silver Bayonet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - and yes, I'm sure we will fix that heinous shortcoming soon...

      Delete
  7. I’ll second Curts comments on Nappys. Great work on the bad guys and welcome back Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very scary opening volley. Now get some Old Guard Grenadiers to see off those critters. Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some Old Guard are in train but not in a way you might expect...

      Delete
  9. Very nice! I like the contrast of the colourful foliage on the bases of the Faceless Gaunt to the starkness of the figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha, and yes, I was trying to get a contrast look. Glad to know it works :-)

      Delete
  10. A cunning plan to get into some "Napoleonic" games without having to paint any Napoleonic figures!
    Cheers
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan - dont think I'll get away with it that easily!

      Delete
  11. Those winged things look great and those glowing dead ones are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very eye-catching colours, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice colors, Paul! You should really get some Napoleonic troops in! I'm actually astonished you don't have any!? ;)
    Nice work though, I look forward to seeing what else you have in your pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David and yes, clearly it is a character flaw that I will work on :-)

      Delete
  14. A very effective opening bid, I like both little groups. Now get started on your homework! No Napoleonics, go figure…

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do like the faceless gaunts. I’ve got a pile of LotR dead I need to slap some Contrast on…

    ReplyDelete